Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

St. Louis Open 2016 (6/25/16)

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Charbroil

St. Louis Open 2016 (6/25/16)

Post by Charbroil »

As in the past, We are going to have St. Louis Open at WashU this summer. We will have an academic tournament on the NASAT set as well as a trash tournament on the ACRONYM set.

The tournament will be June 25th. Full details are below.
Last edited by Charbroil on Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Charbroil

Re: St. Louis Open 2016 (7/9/16)

Post by Charbroil »

In case anyone didn't see this, we had some people ask for a different date for this, so we're currently running a date poll here.

Charbroil

Re: St. Louis Open 2016 (6/25/16)

Post by Charbroil »

Since 6/25 beat out 7/9 in the poll, we're moving this tournament to that date. More information will be forthcoming soon.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

This is going to be a mirror of the NASAT set. I will be directing it, and you'll need to email me to officially register (jacob.orourke.7@gmail.com).

Here's a team formation spreadsheet for everyone to use.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Hello all,

I'm pleased to announce that I will be directing WUSTL's mirror of the 2016 NASAT set. The tournament will take place on June 25, 2016.

Teams are completely open. In order to register your team, you will need to email me at jacob.orourke.7 [at] gmail.com with your teammates, buzzer and staff information. A team formation spreadsheet can be found here for the WUSTL site. The tournament will take place in Siegle Hall (building #97).

Fees
Base Fee: $80 per team
Discount: -$5 per buzzer system; -$20 for a moderator.
The Minimum fee is $40 to pay the mirror fee.
If you're bringing a check, it should be made out to "Washington University Academic Team." Cash is also good.

Field
WUSTL et al (2 Buzzers, No Moderator) [Charles Hang, Tirth Patel, Victoria Cui, Gordon Aresnoff]
Teamy McTeamface [David Dennis, Kyle Hill, Allyson Lotz, Matt Chadbourne]
Dat Suitable Boi [Dylan Minarik, Kai Smith, Morgan Venkus, Mike Etzkorn]
Missouri Open Squad [Will Alston, Itamar Naveh-Benjamin, James Lasker, Athena Kern]
The Short Happy Life of Brad's Coaching Career [Brad Fischer, Alec Krueger, Kristin Strey, Tyler Vaughan]

Hope to see everyone in St. Louis on June 25th!
Last edited by Mickey0R0urke on Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

The tournament will take place in Siegle Hall, which is building #97.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Hello, everyone! I'm pleased to announce that we will also be hosting a mirror of the ACRONYM trash tournament after the NASAT mirror. I, Charles Hang, will be directing it.

Registration

To register, please e-mail me at charleshang228@yahoo.com with the following information:

1/ How many teams you will bring.
2/ How many buzzers you will bring.
3/ How many players you will have, as well as their names.
4/ How many staff (moderators and scorekeepers) you will bring.

Please form and register a team before the event. A team formation spreadsheet is available here.

Fee Structure

$10/player

We will be ordering pizza to eat between the academic and trash events. There a $4 per person charge if you want pizza.

We are, of course, willing to make accommodations if a team has trouble paying and wishes to arrange a payment plan, etc.

Please make checks out to "Washington University Academic Team;" we can also take cash but prefer checks.

As mentioned above, it will be in Seigle Hall. Parking is plentiful.

Time

We will begin around 4-5 PM. Please show up by 4 for this tournament, or get in touch with me by phone if you know you can't make it on time. Once you register, I'll send you a confirmation with my phone number.

We will end the tournament around 8, depending on how many rounds we play (which depends on how many teams sign up).

Tournament Format

Historically, we've had about 6 teams for these events. If that stays true, we'll probably play a round robin with a final, with the possibility of additional games.
Last edited by Charbroil on Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

I posted this on the spreadsheets too, but assuming I can take off work that day I'm planning on playing both tournaments. Also looking for teammates so let me know if you want to team up.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Because I forgot that my brother's graduation party is the same day, Sean Phillips is going to take over directing St. Louis Open's academic event. I'll still take registrations and forward them on to him.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Are we planning for the typical 8am registration, 9am start time?

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

L-Town Expatriate wrote:Are we planning for the typical 8am registration, 9am start time?
9 at the latest.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

So it looks like we have six teams registered at present for the NASAT mirror on Saturday. Please communicate to your teammates to be in Seigle Hall, Room L006 starting at 8am with an eye to starting rounds by 8:30. Seigle Hall is building 97 on this map:

https://wustl.edu/wp-content/uploads/20 ... rthmap.pdf

Please park in the marked yellow zones or at a meter. Weekend parking is free.

We will do a double round robin (with lunch in between round robins) with any finals if necessary after that. Please continue to use the google spreadsheet to make any roster changes but as of 12:01 am Friday I will not allow any new teams to register unless necessary. PM me here if you need my phone number. I think I have emailed one rep from almost every team.

See you in Seigle Hall on Saturday!

Sean Phillips

Sent from my iPhone

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Stats from the NASAT Mirror can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/. Dylan Minarik's team defeated the Missouri Open team to win the tournament.

Much thanks to Sean Phillips for directing this for me after work obligations forced me to drop from directing the tournament!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

This day was a lot of fun. I want to thank the teams for their great spirit and attitude all day. I'd also like to thank the staff Kevin Stockman, Abby Kuchnir, Marshall Mullins and Peter Kahn. It was a pleasure to work with each and every one of you today and you were all such top notch pros! I hope to see you all at WUAT events for years to come!

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

scphilli wrote:This day was a lot of fun.
Seconded. Always fun when I actually get to play a little quizbowl and see just how rusty I am these days. :D

Thanks to the staff, my teammates and all the other teams for an awesome day.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Statistics for the trash tournament are here.

Congratulations to "Brexit Koax Koax," which beat "Madrigal Electromotive" 570-125 in the final to win!

Max Havey, Andy Walz, Brad Fischer, Jared McNett, and Sean Phillips were the top scorers.

Thanks everyone who attended! Also thanks to Marshall Mullins and David Dennis, who staffed!