Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Hallsville Invitational Tournament IV (2/6/16)

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Hallsville Coach

Hallsville Invitational Tournament IV (2/6/16)

Post by Hallsville Coach »

Hallsville High School is pleased to announce that we will be hosting the fourth annual Hallsville Invitational Tournament on February 6, 2016. This is a varsity tournament but please feel free to bring additional teams.

Format:
This tournament will feature the twenty tossup/bonus format using the BASQT II set by Bergen Academies. Games consist of twenty tossups worth ten points each followed by non-rebounding bonuses worth up to thirty points. Tossups will feature "powers" (additional points awarded for correct buzzes very early in the question) and "negs" (five point deductions for incorrect answers before the question is finished).
We anticipate using two full round robins in the morning and afternoon with an advantaged final to decide the champion depending on the number of teams registered.

Fees:
base fee (first team from each school): $65
second or subsequent teams: $60
travel discount (100 miles or more one way): -$5 per team
buzzer discount (must work for eight players; limit two per school): -$5

To register, please e-mail me at sallen@hallsville.org to reserve your spot. We look forward to seeing you in February.

Field List:(18/18)
Wellsville-Middletown
Warrensburg
Helias A
Helias B
Helias C
Helias D
Moberly
Fatima
Washington A
Washington B
Washington C
Hannibal
Orchard Farm A
Orchard Farm B
New Haven
Southwestern HS (Piasa, IL)
Rock Bridge A
Rock Bridge B

Waitlist:
Last edited by Hallsville Coach on Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:00 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Hallsville Coach

Re: Hallsville Invitational Tournament IV (2/6/16)

In less that 24 hours after posting we are down to one remaining spot. After that we will start a waitlist and possibly expand if we can acquire enough staff.

Hallsville Coach

The field is now full. We will now start compiling a waitlist and see if we have enough staff to be able to expand the field if necessary.

Hallsville Coach

The tournament today featured some outstanding teams and made for some very exciting rounds of Quiz Bowl. At the end of the championship rounds, Southwestern HS was 4-1 and three teams were tied at 3-2 (Rock Bridge A, Orchard Farm A and Washington A). It was determined that based on total points scored during the championship rounds that Rock Bridge A would face Orchard Farm A for the right to face Southwestern in an advantaged final. Rock Bridge A won that match 425-170. They then played Southwestern in an advantaged final and won the first game 355-210. In the final game of the day, Southwestern came back and won the tournament championship game 265-245. Congratulations go out to all teams involved today!
Also, thank you to all of the wonderful moderators and scorekeepers that volunteered today (Glen Decker, Jon Deering, David Dennis, Jeffrey Hill, Kyle Hill, Stephanie Hull, Jason Loy, Kevin Stockman and the entire Hallsville team). You made it a very successful and stress-free tournament.
Stats will be forthcoming.

Piasa Coach

Post by Piasa Coach »

We have nothing but compliments for the efforts that went into this tournament. The level of competition and the sense of fair play was some of the finest that I have seen in 15 years of coaching. The outcome wasn't what we expected, but no matter what the results may have been, I would have left this event with nothing but compliments. It was a lot of fun to play against new faces and we really appreciate the opportunity to attend the tournament. Thank you again.
Last edited by Piasa Coach on Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Piasa Coach wrote:We have nothing but compliments for the efforts that went into this tournament. The level of competition and the sense of fair play was some of the finest that I have seen in 15 years of coaching. The outcome wasn't what we expected, but no matter what the results may have been, I would have left this event with nothing but compliments. It was a lot of fun to play against new faces and we really appreciate the opportunity to attend the tournament. Than you again.
I think I can speak for my state without having been there that you guys are welcome to our events any time! Keep on keeping on and may we see each other in playoffs at nationals!

Hallsville Coach

Here are the stats for the tournament:

Prelims
Playoffs
All Games

Thank you to Jeffrey Hill for helping with the stats!!