Team Missouri A finishes sixth in all-star tournament!
Congratulations to Team Missouri A for earning sixth place out of twenty-nine teams in the 2018 National All-Star Academic Tournament! Team Missouri B finished in nineteenth place.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:39 am

Washington Middle/Elementary April 9, 2016 

Post Washington Middle/Elementary April 9, 2016
Coaches,

Washington will be hosting the Invitational for Middle School and Elementary Youths (WIMSEY) on April 9, 2016.

The tournament will be in the 20 Tossup/20 Bonus format, with powers (15 pts. for early correct answers) and with bouncebacks on the 3-part bonuses. There will not be negs (-5 for early incorrect answers) We will use question set MS-17 from National Academic Quiz Tournaments (NAQT). You can find free sample questions at http://www.naqt.com.

Due to staffing concerns, we are currently capping the Middle School (grades 7th and 8th) field at 12 teams, and the Elementary (grades 6 and below) field at 12 teams.

Prices are:
- $55 for the first Middle School team for a school, $50 for each additional Middle School team. (B, etc.)
- $45 for the first Elementary team for a school, $40 for each additional Elementary team.
- Fully functional buzzer systems are a $5 discount (limit 2 per team)
- Providing a scorekeeper is a $10 discount. Please let us know about these well in advance. We reserve the right to refuse this discount.
- Providing an experienced moderator is a $20 discount.

I really want to lift the caps to 18 or more, but cannot due to current staff concerns. My usual cadre of moderators will be severely limited on that date. Teams who can provide moderators will be moved to the top of the priority list. The current caps are a reflection of what I can reliably staff at the moment. Please let us know about these well in advance. We reserve the right to refuse this discount.

- Teams traveling over 100 miles (one way per Google Maps) will receive a $5 discount.

Team check-in will begin at 8:30, the first matches will take place at 9:00 AM, and there will be a lunch break around 12 PM. There will be a concession stand (popcorn, candy, and sodas) open during the day. There are several options for lunch in town.

Spots will be filled on a first come/first served basis.

Please use this form to register.

You are not registered until you receive a confirmation email from the tournament director. If interest and staffing permits, we will lift the cap to as high as we can accommodate. Again, please let us know about scorekeepers and moderators as early as possible.

The top 2 teams in Middle School and Elementary will receive a trophy. There are prizes (books and medals) for the top 10 individual scorers.

The tournament will be held in our Middle School. Our school’s address is 401 E 14th St., Washington, MO 63090.
- If you come by I-44, Washington is exit #251 on route 100 – turn right at the 100/47 intersection, and then take a left to the middle school at the 2nd stoplight.
- If you come by I-70, take exit 203 (State Hwy T) follow that for about 15 miles, turn left on 47, cross the bridge into town, and take a right to the middle school at the 5th stoplight.

​Thanks,

David Dennis
Middle School Vocal Music/Theater Director
Scholar Bowl Coach
School District of Washington

Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:05 pm

Post Re: Washington Middle/Elementary April 9, 2016
Field

Middle School (18/18)
Washington (3)
Union (2)
Hallsville
Sullivan (2)
Sunrise (3)
Orchard Farm (2)
St. Clair
Tuscumbia
Pilot Grove (3)

Elementary (12/12)
Washington (5)
Hallsville (2)
Sullivan
Sunrise (2)
Tuscumbia (2)

Buzzers
Washington (5 reliable, lots more less so)
Union
Hallsville (2)
Sullivan
Tuscumbia (2)
Sunrise

Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:09 pm

Post Re: Washington Middle/Elementary April 9, 2016
In the Elementary Division, Washington A went 8-0, winning over 2nd place Hallsville A.

In the Middle School Division, Washington A went 9-0, winning over 2nd place Hallsville.

Stats can be found here.

Big thanks to Sean Phillips, Kyle Hill, Stephanie Hull, Joel Adams, Drayton Bates, Jason Loy, Jacob O'Rourke, Scott Allen, Matt Chalem, Alisa Yeager, Kevin Stockman, Will Runion, David Reinecke, Spencer Johnson, Janie Chalem, Joe Stitz, Matt Dew, Angel Young, Sam Lockwood, Drew and Emily from Hallsville (I don't know their last names), Logan Dirk, the two scorekeepers from DeSoto, and my Elementary Stats man - Cole Phinney.

Also a big thanks to my team's parents: Pete and Melanie Bush, Jason Godefroid, Susie Thierbach, Molly Derner, Laura Amlong, Jo Phinney, and any other parents who came and worked the concession stand that I just didn't get to see during the day.

Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:10 pm