Looking for practice material?
Find thousands of archived packets FREE for practice and study use at the Quizbowl Packet Archive!
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:04 am

2016 KRES Scholars Cup 

Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair
Post 2016 KRES Scholars Cup
Cross Posting from the MACA Website

After a successful first year, Regional Radio (KWIX, KRES, KIRK and KTCM) is happy to announce the return of the KRES Scholars Cup, a ranking system that will recognize the top scholar bowl teams in our area for their performance over the course of the season. High schools in the following counties are eligible to pursue the Scholars Cup: Adair, Audrain, Boone, Callaway, Chariton, Clark, Cooper, Howard, Knox, Lewis, Linn, Macon, Marion, Monroe, Montgomery, Pike, Putnam, Ralls, Randolph, Saline, Schuyler, Scotland, Shelby and Sullivan.

Rankings will be based upon the competitions that your varsity team is already competing in, against other varsity teams. This is not an additional tournament, but an honorary ranking that will not count toward your 14 events for the season. Competitions between January 1st, 2016 and April 2nd, 2016 are eligible for inclusion. Scores should be submitted within 72 hours of competition.

Ranking points will be determined by the number of tossups and bonus answered in each match from a qualifying tournament, and doubled if the match resulted in a victory. A qualifying tournament may follow MSHSAA "state" format, NAQT "national" format, or any variation of either. Only games against a varsity or A team may count; games against junior varsity or B/C/D teams will not count.

Two titles will be awarded: a large school title for schools in Classes 3 & 4, and small school title for schools in Classes 1 & 2. Both titles will be presented in early April. The first standings will be released the afternoon of January 27th on KRES FM 104.7 and on our website at centralmoinfo.com, with updates each following Wednesday. The KRES Scholars Cup is part of Regional Radio's ongoing efforts to recognize our area students and how they enrich and positively represent our communities. Qualifying schools have until February 5th, 2016 at 6 p.m. to e-mail Kyle Hill (kyleh@digity.me) and indicate their wish to be included in the rankings. If you have any questions about the KRES Scholars Cup, e-mail Kyle or phone (660) 263-1500.

Rules and qualifications are subject to change at the discretion of Regional Radio.

Last edited by L-Town Expatriate on Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:51 pm

Post Re: 2016 KRES Scholars Cup
Large Schools
Mexico
Southern Boone
Hallsville
Centralia
North Callaway
Clark County
Boonville
Highland
Brookfield
Macon R-I
Hannibal
Palmyra
Montgomery County
Moberly

Small Schools
Van-Far
Harrisburg
Tolton Catholic
Keytesville
Salisbury
Pilot Grove
New Franklin
Knox County
Linn County R-I
Marceline
La Plata
Atlanta
Bevier
Bucklin/Macon County
Paris
Madison
Wellsville-Middletown
Louisiana
Clopton
Westran
Northeast (Cairo)
Higbee
Schuyler County
North Shelby
South Shelby
Green City

Last edited by L-Town Expatriate on Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:51 pm

Some Scholars Cup updates:
  1. With special thanks to the Cardinals and Cubs scheduling a day game in late April, our broadcast schedule's been pushed up a week. Our first show is this Wednesday at 3:30 on KRES FM 104.7. We'll have the first standings announced then.
  2. We are at 37 schools as of this morning. The deadline to confirm your school's inclusion is February 5th at 6 p.m.

Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:26 am

This is my annual reminder that the KRES Scholars Cup rankings are a snapshot. Currently we're about a third of the way into the marathon, with several challenging, uphill portions still in the distance. And at the moment, it's a pair of EMO schools leading the pack.

http://www.centralmoinfo.com/2016/01/27 ... standings/

Special thanks to Marshall's Audrey Connor, the 2015 Carol Farmer Founders Award recipient, for being our guest on Scholars Weekly today.

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:52 pm

The winner of this afternoon's conference match between Centralia and Clark County will assume second place in the large division of the KRES Scholars Cup, at least until this weekend's tournaments at Hallsville and Monroe City:

http://www.centralmoinfo.com/2016/02/03 ... standings/

Our thanks to Ryan Kennedy for visiting with us on this week's show. We also visited with Clark County's John Reardon for a web-exclusive interview that was posted Tuesday.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:20 pm

I still think this is a really cool idea. If you ever need someone to interview, just let me know.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:18 pm
Profile WWW

DeckardCain wrote:
I still think this is a really cool idea. If you ever need someone to interview, just let me know.

Seconded. I'd love to do an interview if you need someone for the program.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:44 pm

Montgomery County went 2-1 yesterday in the quad they hosted, which was enough for them to maintain first place in the large school division. Clark County is now in second, having swept the Monroe City tournament.

With two tournaments and an inter-conference quad last week, several area teams have entered the top ten:
http://www.centralmoinfo.com/2016/02/10 ... ent-sweep/

My thanks to Eric Huff of ACE Quiz Bowl camps for visiting this week to talk about June's camp in Marshall.

Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:52 pm

Hannibal's 11-2 championship performance at WashU has the Pirates atop the Scholars Cup standings in the large school division. My thanks to Parth Parikh for speaking with us moments after picking up the tournament title. Hallsville enters the top five, now ranked third.

South Shelby surged into second in the small school standings. Marceline enters the top ten, at eighth.

http://www.centralmoinfo.com/2016/02/17 ... standings/

Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:03 pm

L-Town Expatriate wrote:
Hannibal's 11-2 championship performance at WashU has the Pirates atop the Scholars Cup standings in the large school division. My thanks to Parth Parikh for speaking with us moments after picking up the tournament title. Hallsville enters the top five, now ranked third.

South Shelby surged into second in the small school standings. Marceline enters the top ten, at eighth.

http://www.centralmoinfo.com/2016/02/17 ... standings/

No problem! My apologies if I messed it up; I've never done a radio interview before :)

Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:01 pm

Centralia's small school championship at Tiger Bowl lifted the Panthers into third place in the Scholars Cup large school division. Hannibal and Wellsville remain atop the standings.

http://www.centralmoinfo.com/2016/02/24 ... olars-cup/

Sean Phillips was our guest this week; immense gratitude to the Boonville alumnus and tournament director extraordinaire.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:51 pm

Belated post: the Paris Coyotes were featured on last week's program. My thanks to junior Ben Ebbesmeyer for visiting with us.

We had at least one new entry in the standings last week, Pilot Grove.
http://www.centralmoinfo.com/2016/03/02 ... standings/

Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:21 pm

Three new schools in the rankings: Schuyler County now 10th in the small school division; in the large school division, Mexico debuts in 6th, along with Moberly in 9th. Louisiana and Marceline are the big movers in the small school division, with the Bulldogs jumping to 2nd and Tigers leaping from 10th to 5th.

http://www.centralmoinfo.com/2016/03/09 ... standings/

My thanks to Alex Harmata of Hickman for the post-championship match interview.

Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:49 pm

Green City's dominant performance thus far in the Tri-County North results in the Gophers debuting in the Scholars Cup standings at ninth. They're one of three teams entering the standings this week.

Centralia has overtaken Hallsville for second in the large school division, while Pilot Grove enters the top five. I visited with both teams after they claimed their respective conference titles this past week.

http://www.centralmoinfo.com/2016/03/16 ... favorites/

Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:34 pm

Green City's 12-0 run through their conference has them in second. North Shelby also rises in the small school division, joining the Gophers in the top five. They still trail Wellsville.

http://www.centralmoinfo.com/2016/03/23 ... standings/

Green City captain Cameron Albrecht and Wellsville coach Jon Deering were our guests on today's program.

Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:57 pm

Among the small schools, we have a tie in fourth place in the second-to-last KRES Scholars Cup standings! And the schools in sixth and seventh place are right behind them! Many area schools will be participating in Moberly's tournament Saturday, while the current leaders in each division will both be at Orchard Farm's inaugural tournament, and Paris and Marceline will pursue the Lewis and Clark Conference title tomorrow in Paris.

http://www.centralmoinfo.com/2016/03/30 ... p-results/

Hallsville head coach Scott Allen was our guest today, as we discussed MACA's recent JV and Middle School tournaments.

Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:11 pm

Hannibal and Wellsville-Middletown are your 2016 KRES Scholars Cup Champions!
http://www.centralmoinfo.com/2016/04/06 ... champions/

Louisiana's championship in the Springdale Division of OMAR propelled them to second in the small school division, while Paris' Lewis & Clark Conference championship lifted them to third. Interviews with members of both teams aired on today's program.

Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:52 pm

In the last episode of the season, I visited with North Shelby's Sandy Werr after her Raiders claimed the last-ever Tri-Rivers Conference title.
http://www.centralmoinfo.com/2016/04/13 ... -district/

Thank you to everyone who was interviewed and featured throughout the season. Best wishes at districts, state and nationals!

Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:52 pm