Looking for practice material?
Find thousands of archived packets FREE for practice and study use at the Quizbowl Packet Archive!
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:53 am

2015 Clever Invitational 

Post 2015 Clever Invitational
Coaches,

After feedback from other schools, Clever High School will be hosting an academic tournament on November 7th, 2015. This is later than originally thought, but many schools mentioned conflicts with Band and other programs in October. We would like to make this an annual tournament if this is successful.

The tournament will be in the 20 Tossup/20 Bonus format, with bouncebacks on bonuses. At this time, we will NOT be using “Powers”, “Negs” or “Interrupts”.

We will use question set IS-148 from National Academic Quiz Tournaments (NAQT). This is currently being used by Hallsville and Smithville as well. You can find free sample questions at http://www.naqt.com.

We are currently capping the field at 16 teams. The field can expand if there is more interest and staff.

Prices are:
- $65 for the first team from a school, $60 for each additional team.
- Fully functional buzzer systems are a $5 discount (must work for 8 players, limit 2 per team)
- Providing an experienced moderator (reader) is a $15 discount. (limit 1 discount per school)Please let us know about these well in advance. We reserve the right to refuse moderators.
- Teams traveling over 100 miles (one way per Google Maps) will receive a $5 discount.

Matches will begin at 9:00 AM, and there will be a lunch break around 12:00-12:30 PM. Lunch options are mostly in neighboring towns (10 minute drive at most). I will make sure to leave enough time for each team to find food before beginning again in the afternoon. I see no reason any team would be here later than 5:00PM.

I will have information on food options and a possible concession stand in the next week or two since food is a little bit of a drive. There will be a hospitality room provided for all coaches, bus drivers, staff, and other usual hospitality room users.

Spots will be filled on a first come/first served basis. Rather than emailing me, please use this form to register.

https://goo.gl/ZXYp6C

Please understand that, until I confirm with you via email, your team(s) are not registered. I will create a waiting list if this tournament fills up.

I plan on awarding trophy/plaques to the top 3 teams, and individual medals for the top 10 scorers of the morning sessions. Currently, this is scheduled at the High School off of Mo-14. Feel free to email me with any questions at walkers@clever.k12.mo.us

On a side note, if you are hosting a tournament we would gladly like information as we are looking to fill our season as well.

Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:52 am

Post Re: 2015 Clever Invitational
Last updated 9/16/15
Current Field (12 of 16)

Clever
Southwest
Fordland
Walnut Grove
Aurora
Marionville
Strafford
Sarcoxie-2
Sparta
Kickapoo-2

Buzzers
Clever -2
Walnut Grove-1
Fordland-1
Southwest-1
Aurora-1
Marionville-1
Strafford-1
Sarcoxie-1
Sparta-1

Moderators

Clever- 4
Southwest-1
Fordland-1
Sarcoxie-1

Last edited by Reklaw on Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:38 am, edited 4 times in total.

Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:39 am

I just received word today that we qualify for PACE Gold Certification. This means that the top 20% of teams in this tournament (currently 2, but could be up to 4 teams) will qualify for the national high school quizbowl championship, the PACE NSC on the weekend of June 4th-5th at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare outside of Chicago.

I was concerned about tournament attendance as I had 5 teams for the longest time, but as 4 more teams have signed up in the last 5 days, I think I can now at least break even, so I WILL be having the tournament (I know I mentioned to a few that numbers in attendance was a concern).

Thanks,

Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:35 am

Whew! What a day! I know I learned a lot and I wasn't even in the rooms with questions.

Clever 1st
Kickapoo A 2nd
Aurora 3rd.

Stats here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /combined/

Too tired to commentate further...

Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:54 pm

In terms of nationals bids, I believe Clever and Kickapoo A qualified for HSNCT, and the PACE NSC qualifiers were Clever, Kickapoo A and Aurora.

Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:21 pm

Mickey0R0urke wrote:
In terms of nationals bids, I believe Clever and Kickapoo A qualified for HSNCT, and the PACE NSC qualifiers were Clever, Kickapoo A and Aurora.

Correct on the above...I think

In terms of SSNCT, I believe Kickapoo was the only not-small school in attendance. I *think* (and correct me if I'm misreading qualifications) this qualifies Clever, Aurora, and Fordland? (12 total teams, 10 from small schools, and top 3 small schools?)

Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:07 am

Reklaw wrote:
Mickey0R0urke wrote:

Correct on the above...I think

In terms of SSNCT, I believe Kickapoo was the only not-small school in attendance. I *think* (and correct me if I'm misreading qualifications) this qualifies Clever, Aurora, and Fordland? (12 total teams, 10 from small schools, and top 3 small schools?)

They should show up on the NAQT site here.

Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:33 pm

Ah, yeah just Clever for Small School, and Kickapoo and Clever for HSNCT. Math was never my strong subject...

Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:54 pm

Reklaw wrote:
Ah, yeah just Clever for Small School, and Kickapoo and Clever for HSNCT. Math was never my strong subject...

If I'm reading that link correctly, no, you were right the first time and those three do get SSNCT bids while Clever and Kickapoo get HSNCT as well.

Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:29 pm

scphilli wrote:
Reklaw wrote:

If I'm reading that link correctly, no, you were right the first time and those three do get SSNCT bids while Clever and Kickapoo get HSNCT as well.

You had it right the first time. I think NAQT was just researching the attendance of those schools before awarding them bids to Small School Nationals.

Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:27 pm