Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Washington University Fall Academic Tournament-11/14/15

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Mickey0R0urke

Washington University Fall Academic Tournament-11/14/15

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Hello everyone,

Richard Yu and myself are pleased to announce that Washington University in St. Louis will be hosting a fall invitational tournament on November 14, 2015. This tournament will be using the CALI question set. If you're attending Centralia's tournament on November 21st or Fort Osage's tournament on November 21st, you will not be able to attend this tournament.

This tournament will be taking place mostly in Eads Hall, with a few game rooms in some nearby halls.

The fee structure is:
Base Fee: $70 per first team from a school, $60 per each subsequent team from a school.
Staffer Discount: $15 per staffer.
Working Buzzer Discount: $5 per buzzer (your system must allow for 8 people to play at any one time for us to use it for the discount).
Distance Discount: $5 per 100 miles (one-way, as determined by Google Maps).

This tournament will initially be capped at 24 teams, and we will do our best to expand depending on interest and room and staffer availability.

Registration
To register, simply email myself (Jacob O'Rourke) at jacob.orourke.7@gmail.com and tell me how many teams, buzzers and staffers your school will be bringing.

I look forward to seeing everybody on November 14th!

Mickey0R0urke

Re: Washington University Fall Academic Tournament-11/14/15

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Field (24/24):

Orchard Farm (2 teams, 1 buzzer, 1 staffer)
Oakville (3 teams, 1 buzzer, 2 staffers)
Webster Groves (1 team, 1 buzzer, 0 staff)
CBC (1 team, 0 buzzers, 0 staff)
Clayton (2 teams, 1 buzzer, 0 staff)
Marquette (2 teams, 0 buzzers, 0 staff)
Eureka (1 team, 1 buzzer, 0 staff)
Lutheran-St. Charles (2 teams, 1 buzzer, 0 staff)
Francis Howell (1 team, 1 buzzer, 0 staff)
DeSmet Jesuit (2 teams, 2 buzzers, 0 staff)
Ladue (5 teams, 2 buzzers, 0 staff)
Warrenton (1 team, 1 buzzer, 0 staff)
MICDS (1 team, 1 buzzer, 0 staff)

Total: 13 buzzers, 2 staffers
Last edited by Mickey0R0urke on Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:02 pm, edited 23 times in total.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Just to clear up a small point of confusion that's been brought to our attention: WUSTL is hosting TWO high school events this year, one in spring and another in fall. We look forward to providing an excellent quiz bowl experience at both events and hope to see you there!

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

With Eureka's registration, we are now halfway full. I hope to have a full initial field cap, so please let me know if your team is interested in attending this tournament!

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

I'm pleased to announce that PACE has awarded the tournament Platinum Certification, which means that the top 25% of our final field (rounded up to the nearest integer) will qualify for the 2016 National Scholastics Championship, which is being held on the weekend of June 4th-5th at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare outside of Chicago, IL.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

This event is MSHSAA approved.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

scphilli wrote:This event is MSHSAA approved.
So if anyone was waiting on this event to be sanctioned, please feel free to register anytime!

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

We have three more spots left in our initial field cap. If you're not playing CALI at Centralia or Fort Osage on the 21st, we'd love to see you here!

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

The initial field cap for this tournament has filled up! We will be placing any additional registrations on a waitlist, and preference will be given to schools that can bring moderators to help further expand the field.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

I sent out a logistics email on Monday. Here's the email. Please let me know if you're attending this and haven't received the email.
My logistics email wrote:Hello everybody!

I just wanted to touch base with you about WUFAT, since we're a little less than 2 weeks out.

First off, the field is as follows:
Field (23/24)
Orchard Farm (2 teams, 1 buzzer, 1 staffer)
Oakville (1 team, 1 buzzer, 1 staffer)
Webster Groves (1 team, 1 buzzer)
CBC (1 team, 0 buzzers)
Parkway Central (1 team, 0 buzzers)
Clayton (2 teams, 1 buzzer)
Marquette (2 teams, 0 buzzers)
Valle Catholic (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Eureka (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Lutheran-St. Charles (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Francis Howell (1 team, 1 buzzer)
DeSmet Jesuit (2 teams, 2 buzzers)
Ladue (5 teams, 2 buzzers)
Warrenton (1 team, 1 buzzer)
MICDS (1 team, 1 buzzer)

If any of your information has changed or if you wish to withdraw any of your teams from the event, please let me know as soon as possible so that I can plan accordingly.

Registration for WUFAT will begin at 8 AM in Louderman 461, with play expected to begin no later than 9 AM. I would like to ask coaches to come into 461 to register while your players wait in 458 (the auditorium).

Attached you will find a waiver. As in the past, the University Administration requires that all parents whose children are under 18 to sign this and have it turned in on the day of the event. I would greatly appreciate you cooperation with this.

When you have an idea of your rosters, I would greatly appreciate you submitting them to me. Due to the nature of the statistics program we will be using, I need your rosters by Friday, November 13th.

I will make sure that those of you who requested invoices receive them this week. I anticipate emailing preliminary schedules out to you by the Thursday before the tournament.

A campus map can be found here: http://wustl.edu/community/visitors/map ... rthmap.pdf. Louderman is building number 65 on this map. I anticipate that we'll be using Eads and Ridgley for game buildings. Eads is building number 33; Ridgley is building number 93.

I'd like a phone number for a contact person for each school, as well. My phone number is (his is where my phone number was). Please call or text me if you have any questions leading up to the tournament.

Here are the rules we are using for WUFAT. I'm only going to list what we're deviating from in the MSHSAA rules book.

There will be powers for a correct answer by a player before the bolded section of the question has ended. If a player answers a question correctly after the bolded section of the question has ended, he receives 10 points. Negs will also be in effect. Negs only apply to the first incorrect answer that is given before the moderator has finished reading the question.

The recognition rule will be in effect for this tournament. For timing, they have 5 seconds after the moderator has finished the tossup to buzz in. Once they've buzzed in, they have 3 seconds to begin a significant response (basically starting a name for an answer: things like "um" or "so it's" aren't starting a significant answer; things like "s.." or "Andrew..." are) and 7 more seconds to finish their answer (for a total of 10 seconds).

The bonuses will consist of 3 seperate questions, each worth 10 points each (for a maximum total of 30 points available on bonuses). For timing, after the bonus is read, the team will have 5 seconds to state their answer; the moderator will prompt for an answer from the captain after 4 seconds.

For timeouts, we are going to limit teams to 1 60 second timeout and 1 30 second timeout per game. You must call a timeout after a bonus has been read and before the moderator has started reading the next tossup.

If a game is tied after 20 tossups, we will read extra tossups until the score changes.

For scores, we will be projecting a scoring program designed by Gordon Arsenoff (formerly of WUSTL) so that everyone in the room can see the score as the game goes on.

As you will see when I send out the schedules, every team will be guaranteed 9 games, so I hope you're ready to enjoy the day!

The second hall with game rooms will be Cupples I instead of Ridgley. Cupples I is building number 25 on the map.

Second, there will be no bouncebacks on the bonuses

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

With the registration of Oakville B, we are now full again!

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Parkway Central withdrew, but thanks to Lutheran-St. Charles, we are full again. All teams should have received information from me this week-let me know if you haven't received any of my emails.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

We had another last minute change, but thanks to Oakville's generosity, we have 24 teams competing tomorrow.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Prelim stats can be found here.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Ladue B won the first game of an advantage final against Marquette A 275-250. Ladue A finished third, and Orchard Farm A finished 4th. Francis Howell and Eureka rounded out the list of teams that qualified for PACE NSC!

Combined Stats can be found here.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Playoff stats are here.

Superplayoff stats can be found here.