Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Washington High Invitational Tournament 12/5/15

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
dwd50

Washington High Invitational Tournament 12/5/15

Post by dwd50 »

Coaches,

Washington High School will be hosting a tournament on December 5th, 2015. We are trying a different date in an attempt to avoid the weather issues that have plagued us in the last couple of years.

The tournament will be in the 20 Tossup/20 Bonus format, with bouncebacks on bonuses. To encourage players, especially younger players at this earlier time, we will be using “Powers,” or 15 points for an early correct answer, and we will NOT be using “Negs” or “Interrupts” (-5 for early incorrect answers.) This is a change from last year.

We will use question set IS-152 from National Academic Quiz Tournaments (NAQT). You can find free sample questions at http://www.naqt.com.

We are currently capping the field at 32 teams. The field can expand if there is significantly more interest and staff.

Prices are:
- $65 for the first team from a school, $60 for each additional team. (B, C, D, etc.)
- Fully functional buzzer systems are a $5 discount (must work for 8 players, limit 2 per team)
- Providing an experienced moderator (reader) is a $15 discount. Please let us know about these well in advance. We reserve the right to refuse moderators.
- Teams traveling over 100 miles (one way per Google Maps) will receive a $5 discount.

Registration will begin at 8:30, the first matches will take place at 9:00 AM, and there will be a lunch break around 12:30 PM. There will be a concession stand (popcorn, candy, and sodas) open during the day. There are several options for lunch in town. Most teams should be done by 5 PM.

Spots will be filled on a first come/first served basis. Rather than emailing me, please use this form to register.

You are not registered until you receive a confirmation email from the tournament director. If interest and staffing permits, we will lift the cap to as high as we can accommodate. Again, please let us know about buzzers and moderators as early as possible, so then we can know we are able to lift the cap.

Teams placing 1st-3rd will receive a trophy. There are prizes for the top 10 individual scorers.

We will be playing in the Middle School building, rather than the High School. The middle school building, in my opinion, is more visitor-friendly and hosts tournaments better.

Our middle school’s address is 1401 E. 14th St., Washington, MO 63090.
- If you come by I-44, Washington is exit #251 on route 100 – turn right at the 100/47 intersection, and then take a left to the middle school at the 2nd stoplight. The middle school will be visible on the right.
- If you come by I-70, take exit 203 (State Hwy T) follow that for about 15 miles, turn left on 47, cross the bridge into town, and take a right to the middle school at the 6th stoplight. The middle school will be visible on the right.

If you have any other questions, my email is david.dennis@washington.k12.mo.us, and my phone is 314-239-2640.
Last edited by dwd50 on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

dwd50

Re: Washington High Invitational Tournament 12/5/15

Post by dwd50 »

Field (48/48)
Hermann
Pacific
Hannibal
Parkway North
Wellsville-Middletown
Orchard Farm - 2
New Haven - 2
Calvary Lutheran - 2
Oakville - 2
Clever - 2
Parkway Central
CBC
Owensville - 2
Hallsville - 2
Webster Groves
Ft. Zumwalt North
Cuba
Rolla
Francis Howell North - 2
Parkway South
Troy Buchanan - 2
Houston - 2
Gainesville
Wentzville Holt
St. James
Montgomery Co.
Osage (Chamois)
St. Clair
St. Paul Lutheran
Northwest
Mexico
Marquette - 2
Valle Catholic
Helias - 2
Silex - 2

Waitlist
Christian - 2

Interested
Poplar Bluff
Hannibal B

Buzzers (35-36/24)
Washington (4-5, more if needed)
Tuscumbia
Pacific
Parkway North
New Haven
Wellsville
Hermann
Oakville
Orchard Farm - 2
Calvary Lutheran
Sullivan
Clever - 2
Owensville
Hallsville - 2
Webster Groves
Ft. Zumwalt North
Cuba
Francis Howell North - 2
Rolla
Houston
Montgomery Co.
St. James
Gainesville- 2
Troy Buchanan
St. Clair
Eureka
Liberty - 2

Moderators (24-28/24)
Washington (7-9)
Orchard Farm
Tuscumbia (3-4)
Clever
Oakville (if needed)
Hallsville
St. James - 2
Eureka
St. Clair
Liberty
Hermann

WUSTL - 3 (Gordon, Sean, Peter)- need a ride
MOQBA - Matt, Kyle?, Stephanie?

Scorekeepers - a vast army of WMS players.
Last edited by dwd50 on Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 41 times in total.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

So we hit the original cap in less than 24 hours. It's now up to 32, and I'll need to find some more moderators to get it much higher than that.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

And just like that, we're full again. I will try to pull in some more help and try to expand if at all possible.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

If anyone with some moderating experience isn't doing anything on Dec. 5th, consider this an open invitation. Quality staffing numbers are my only concern about trying to expand the cap farther. I'd really like to accommodate everyone that wants to play, and I anticipate hearing from quite a few more teams.

I can pay for some gas money, and possibly a little more. PM me or email me at the address in the original post.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

I can't believe I'm getting to write this, but the cap has been extended to 42 teams.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

You sir are perilously close to the WUHSAC record of 43.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

Depending on 1-2 decisions from teams about fielding a 2nd team or not, we are getting very close to 48. I'd need an affirmation from a couple of moderators before I feel comfortable expanding the field to that point.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

PACE has given us Platinum Certification, meaning the top 25% of the field (rounded up to the nearest integer) will have qualified for the 2016 PACE National Scholastic Championship June 4-5th at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare in Chicago, IL.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

There have been a total of 55 teams interested in attending. Our building has enough decent-sized rooms to accommodate such a field, and I'm confident we can recruit enough scorekeepers and control room officials from our ranks.

I'm prepared to move schools that can provide competent moderators up the list. I won't lift the cap until I'm confident we have the moderators to staff such a field.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Is that Wentzville Liberty or three-time state champion* Liberty on the waitlist? (*includes 1993 MAA title)

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

dwd50 wrote:I'm prepared to move schools that can provide competent moderators up the list. I won't lift the cap until I'm confident we have the moderators to staff such a field.
Thanks to Eureka, St. Clair and Liberty offering moderators, and after figuring out the main (and backup) logistics for rooms, I'm happy to announce that we are expanding to 48 teams!

There is currently a wing of 3 rooms in the building that are not going to be used, so if we can staff them, we could feasibly expand to 54. Just typing that makes me nervous, however.

OakvilleHSCoach

Post by OakvilleHSCoach »

Not sure if you got Oakville down for one buzzer. I will check to see if we can bring any scorekeepers that day. There is a band conflict, so not sure what I can muster up.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

OakvilleHSCoach wrote:Not sure if you got Oakville down for one buzzer.
I do. I've just been lazy about updating that part of the list. I know of about 40 some-odd systems that should be arriving. They're all on the spreadsheet attached to the registration form. I'll get that fixed soon.
OakvilleHSCoach wrote: I will check to see if we can bring any scorekeepers that day
Thank you so much. The more staff we can have, the better we can make this run.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

After a 5-point final, Marquette beat Hannibal to win. Hallsville A finished 3rd, Helias A was 4th.

A MASSIVE thank you to everyone who came and staffed, ran control rooms, concessions, etc. I've been told by a lot of people that the School District of Washington has the most dedicated parent corps for quiz bowl and I have to agree. I'm not worthy of these people.

Special thanks to all of the MOQBA folks who came to help run things.

Stats are available here.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

This tournament was rocking to staff. My only regret of the day was that I had to leave for work before the tournament was finished.

yankees12071222

Post by yankees12071222 »

Are combined stats going to be put up soon?

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

yankees12071222 wrote:Are combined stats going to be put up soon?
Every time I try to do it, I get a lot of duplicate results. It'll take me a bit to get there.

I'm also running play rehearsals and working the scorebook for two basketball games tonight. We'll see about later in the week.

BTW, big thanks to Corey Inman, Cole Phinney, and Caleb Young for spending that entire day (plus a few hours) entering each game into SQBS from the WUSTL program.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

Combined stats are up. Turned out not to be as hard as I was thinking.

yankees12071222

Post by yankees12071222 »

Thank you! And yes, I saw all of them working in the control room - looked pretty exhausting :) I wanted to thank everyone who helped put this tournament together; it was a wonderful experience!