Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

CAAT II on 11/22/14 at Centralia High School

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
CentraliaCoach

CAAT II on 11/22/14 at Centralia High School

Post by CentraliaCoach »

Centralia High School is pleased to announce that we will be hosting the Second Annual Centralia Autumn Academic Tournament on Saturday, November 22, 2014 at Centralia High School in Centralia, MO. This tournament will be open to all Varsity-level teams, but feel free to bring B teams and beyond.

This tournament is a regular difficulty event that will use BELLOCO, written by Bellarmine College Preparatory.

Games will consist of 20 tossups with three-part, non-rebounding bonuses. The exact schedule for the tournament will depend on the final field size, but teams should expect to be divided into preliminary pools that will each play a round robin, followed by a rebracketing into championship and consolation pools. If the field fills, all teams should expect to play 10 games, ending around 4:00, with any necessary finals and tiebreakers following.

Pricing for this tournament is:
• First team from a school: $60
• Subsequent teams: $55 each
• Experienced moderator: -$20 (we will have to approve the moderator before we give the discount, so email the host about this before bringing your moderator to the tournament)
• Buzzer discount: -$5 for each fully-functional buzzer system, maximum of two (must work for 8 players to receive the discount)

The field is limited to the first 18 teams to register. If the field fills, additional teams will be placed on a waitlist; if a registered team drops, waitlisted teams will be contacted in the order registration requests were received to fill the available spots.

To register, email Ryan Kennedy at ryan.kennedy@catnet.gen.mo.us with the number of teams and any discounts you will be using. Please note that you are not officially registered until you receive an email confirming that your registration was received and accepted.

We anticipate that this tournament will be affiliated with PACE, meaning that at least the top 15% of the field will qualify for the PACE National Scholastics Championship, also to be held at the Hyatt Regency in Reston, VA, part of the Washington, DC, metro area, on June 6-7, 2015.

We hope to see your teams in Centralia on November 22nd. If you have any questions, please let me know.
Last edited by CentraliaCoach on Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CentraliaCoach

Re: CAAT II on 11/22/14 at Centralia High School

Post by CentraliaCoach »

Field (24/24):

Brookfield
Hallsville (3)
Hannibal
Helias (3)
Hickman (2)
Mexico (2)
New Haven
North Shelby
Oakville
Orchard Farm (2)
Rock Bridge (4)
Tolton
Tuscumbia
Wellsville-Middletown

Confirmed teams

Wait list:
Last edited by CentraliaCoach on Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:40 am, edited 21 times in total.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

CentraliaCoach wrote:This tournament is a regular difficulty event that will use the Bellarmine Prep housewrite (as of now).

Tossups will feature “powers” (an extra 5 points for correctly answering sufficiently early)
It looks like BELLOCO is not power marked.

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

EDIT: we are confirmed to mirror BELLOCO
Last edited by CentraliaCoach on Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

Halfway full!

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

Three spots left! Act now and you may get your own copy of "Cats' Letters to Santa"!

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

Also, there is still a chance of conflicting with MSHSAA football semifinals, so I would love to build up a large number of staffers. If anybody is interested in helping out, we would appreciate it.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

I thought MSHSAA's plan for the playoffs this year was to have all the games on Friday nights, hence the season starting a week earlier?

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

L-Town Expatriate wrote:I thought MSHSAA's plan for the playoffs this year was to have all the games on Friday nights, hence the season starting a week earlier?
The projected calendar has the playoff games occurring on Fridays and Saturdays. I was mainly going by what my AD and my band kids were telling me regarding our district's calendar. If they're wrong, all the better. Our field is nearly filled, so my initial fear of moving back a week has not borne fruit.

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

Full and waitlisting.

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

This tournament has been certified Platinum by PACE. The top 25% will qualify for the PACE NSC.

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

Field update. We are seriously considering an expansion in field size and are trying to track down the moderators necessary to carry out that plan.

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

We have expanded our field to 24 teams. Any bigger, and I'm not sure where we would hold the matches.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

CentraliaCoach wrote:We have expanded our field to 24 teams. Any bigger, and I'm not sure where we would hold the matches.
Woo-Hoo! Outdoor Quizbowl!!!

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

Field update. Some drops have put us at the awkward number of 23 teams.
Back to 24!

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

Hannibal and Hallsville A each went into round 11 with undefeated records, essentially starting a best of three series of games to determine the champion. Hannibal won the first game to take the advantage, but Hallsville answered with two straight victories to win the tournament. Hickman A finished in third place.

All Stats:
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/2395/

A huge thanks to everyone who helped make this tournament possible: Alex, Jeffrey, Kyle, Kortney, Aaron, Donna, some of whom traveled long distances to work hard for little more than gratitude and pizza; coaches Allen, Loy, and Whelehon for giving up watching their teams to make this run. And, of course, my wife, the most beautiful and talented stats keeper ever. I hope all who attended and worked enjoyed the day.