Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Monroe City Tournament on 1/24/15

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
CentraliaCoach

Monroe City Tournament on 1/24/15

Post by CentraliaCoach »

**Not my tournament, but I thought I'd post for anyone who is interested/meets the criteria**

The annual Monroe City Tournament will be held on January 24, 2015.

The questions will be ordered from Avery and the rules will be consistent with conference play (Quarters 1 and 3 with 15 toss-ups each and Quarters 2 and 4 with 10 toss-up + 2 part bonus). The tournament will begin at 9AM. Please be here by 8:30 so that you can sign in and be directed to your first rooms.

Below are the costs and discounts of the Monroe City tournament.

Costs:

$70 Entry Fee per Team ($60 for the second team if you bring two teams)

$5 off for bringing a working buzzer system

$5 off for bringing a score keeper or timer

Please let me know ASAP if you plan to bring a buzzer system or a qualified scorer or timer. All moderators will be faculty from Monroe City R-1 Schools and former Quiz Bowl team members.

We are going to continue with the pizza lunch this year. We will be having 2 slices of pizza, chips, dessert, and drink for $5. We ask that you stay for lunch since we are limited on time and food options in the Monroe area. We would like to begin the afternoon rounds as quickly as possible.

There will be a hospitality room with drinks/snacks for all bus drivers, coaches, and workers.

If you know of any other schools who may be wanting to attend, please let me know or feel free to forward this email on to them. We are keeping it to a small school tournament again this year and we will be limiting the bracket to 18 teams so please let me know as soon as possible that you are interested in coming.

**Checks need to be mailed to the school prior to the tournament. Thanks!

Contact info: jschulte@monroe.k12.mo.us

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Re: Monroe City Tournament on 1/24/15

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

1) Do you plan on posting what schools are attending and/or waitlisted?

2) Coach Schulte mentions "Conference Rules" and not state/MSHSAA. Are there any adaptations used within the CCC, or are we talking strict MSHSAA?

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

L-Town Expatriate wrote:1) Do you plan on posting what schools are attending and/or waitlisted?

2) Coach Schulte mentions "Conference Rules" and not state/MSHSAA. Are there any adaptations used within the CCC, or are we talking strict MSHSAA?
1) I Do not. We are not attending this tournament, so I will be out of the loop. I just wanted to share to get the word out for Coach Schulte.

2) CCC rules are MSHSAA rules; I meant to edit that before posting.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

I was able to observe the afternoon rounds. 16 teams were present for three morning rounds, with eight advancing to a double-elimination playoff. However, the playoff was set up like how Monroe runs their basketball tournament (sidenote: Monroe has the state's oldest basketball tournament, recently finishing their 90th installment on the hardwood.)

Second-seed North Shelby defeated Monroe City 210-130 to claim the championship. Top-seeded Clark County claimed third place over Schuyler, and Paris picked up the consolation plaque over South Shelby. Montgomery County and Palmyra were 0-2 in the afternoon.

Also in attendance were teams from Louisiana, Macon and Mexico.