Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Washington HS Feb. 21

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
dwd50

Washington HS Feb. 21

Post by dwd50 »

Coaches,
Washington High School will be hosting a tournament on February 21, 2015.

The tournament will be in the 20 Tossup/20 Bonus format, with powers (15 pts. for early correct answers) and negs (-5 pts. for early incorrect answers) with bouncebacks on bonuses. We will use question set IS-142 from National Academic Quiz Tournaments (NAQT). You can find free sample questions at http://www.naqt.com.

We are currently capping the field at 24 teams, and each team will have at least 8 guaranteed matches. The field can expand if there is significantly more interest and staff.

Prices are:
- $65 for the first team from a school, $60 for each additional team. (B, C, D, etc.)
- Fully functional buzzer systems are a $5 discount (limit 2 per team)
- Providing an experienced scorekeeper is a $5 discount. We reserve the right to refuse scorekeepers.
- Providing an experienced moderator (reader) is a $15 discount. Please let us know about these well in advance. We reserve the right to refuse moderators.
- Teams traveling over 100 miles (one way per Google Maps) will receive a $5 discount.

Registration will begin at 8:30, the first matches will take place at 9:00 AM, and there will be a lunch break around 12 PM. There will be a concession stand (popcorn, candy, and sodas) open during the day. There are several options for lunch in town.

Spots will be filled on a first come/first served basis. Please use this form to register. You are not registered until you receive a confirmation email from the tournament director. If interest and staffing permits, we will lift the cap to as high as we can accommodate. Again, please let us know about buzzers and moderators as early as possible.

Teams placing 1st and 2nd will receive a trophy. There are prizes for the top 10 individual scorers.

Our school’s address is 600 Blue Jay Drive, Washington, MO 63090.
- If you come by I-44, Washington is exit #251 on route 100 – turn right at the 100/47 intersection, and then take a left to the high school at the 3rd stoplight.
- If you come by I-70, take exit 203 (State Hwy T) follow that for about 15 miles, turn left on 47, cross the bridge into town, and take a right to the high school at the 4th stoplight.

If you have any other questions, my email is david.dennis@washington.k12.mo.us, and my phone is 314-239-2640.

David Dennis
Last edited by dwd50 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dwd50

Re: Washington HS Feb. 21

Post by dwd50 »

Field (24/24)
New Haven
Orchard Farm (2)
Wellsville-Middletown
Pacific
Oakville (2)
DeSmet (2)
Warrenton
Parkway North
CBC
St. Francis Borgia
Webster Groves (2)
Cuba
Parkway South
Sullivan
Fatima (2)
Montgomery County
Priory
Mehlville
Marshall

Waitlist
Mexico (2)
Brookfield
Parkway Central

Buzzers:
Washington (3)
New Haven
Orchard Farm
Pacific
DeSmet (2)
Parkway North
Webster Groves
Cuba
Parkway South

Scorekeepers:
Washington (10 or so)

Moderators:
Orchard Farm
Oakville
Washington (7)
Last edited by dwd50 on Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:30 am, edited 8 times in total.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

This is using the same set (NAQT IS-142) as Tuscumbia on Dec. 6, and NKC on Jan. 17. Teams may not compete at more than one.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

The field has been expanded to 24 teams.

More staff would lead to a further expansion.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

We have also received Gold certification for PACE, meaning the top 5 teams will qualify for PACE Nationals on June 6-7 outside Washington DC.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

Should the weather interfere, the makeup date will be Saturday, Feb. 28.

May it never come to that.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

It came to that.

We are cancelled for the 21st. The tournament will happen on Feb. 28th instead.

I will try to get an updated list once I get confirmations from teams.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

New Field for Rescheduled Date: (2/24)

Confirmed(24/24)
Oakville - 2
Borgia
Parkway North
New Haven - 2
Orchard Farm - 2
Wellsville-Middletown
Cuba
Warrenton
CBC
Mehlville
Pacific
Priory
Parkway South - 2
Owensville - 2
Webster Groves - 2
Eureka - 2
Sullivan

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

We did manage to get this underway, though many teams did not stick around as the snow was starting to come down heavy. We did get playoffs to run, and in lieu of a full superplayoffs, we took the top teams from the two playoff brackets and had a final game.

Orchard Farm A beat CBC to win.

Stats for the prelims are here.

Thanks to Sean Phillips, Jason Loy, and Jacob O'Rourke so much for their professionalism and support. Thanks to Kevin Stockman for his patience and keeping his team together as the bus driver was getting nervous. I want to thank my players who stepped up to the challenge of being a good, competent staff, and I want to thank the parents of my teams who, amazingly put up with me.

Edit:

Afternoon games are here.

Stats for the "whole day" (or what we could get played of it) are here.
Last edited by dwd50 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

I really enjoyed today. It was nice to see some new faces and a few old, familiar ones as well. Coach Dennis did an amazing job keeping this going, rolling with any difficulties that came and just basically being awesome. I look forward to making this an annual trip.