Looking for practice material?
Find thousands of archived packets FREE for practice and study use at the Quizbowl Packet Archive!
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:03 pm



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Chip Beale made an appearance at Sectionals… 
Author Message
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2004
Posts: 5394
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair
Post Chip Beale made an appearance at Sectionals…
Anyone else witness that left turn on that math question in the second quarter of the second round? The writer waited until the end to say that the bingo board wasn't the standard 5x5!


Sun May 04, 2014 6:11 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006
Posts: 1795
Location: St. Louis, MO
Post Re: Chip Beale made an appearance at Sectionals…
IIRC from reading that question it says fairly early on that its a 6x6 grid. It's still a what the??? moment but it wasn't like you make it out.

A style point Jeff when you read this since I assume you are en route from Minnesota, the Sandra Day O'Conner tossup should replace the word "judge" with "justice." There is a difference and they WILL correct you if you say it wrong at oral argument.


Sun May 04, 2014 7:07 pm
Profile
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2004
Posts: 5394
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair
Post Re: Chip Beale made an appearance at Sectionals…
scphilli wrote:
IIRC from reading that question it says fairly early on that its a 6x6 grid. It's still a what the??? moment but it wasn't like you make it out.

I must not have caught 6x6 at the beginning, nor apparently did the team who initially buzzed in, as they answered as though it was a 5x5 grid.

Also worth pointing out: there was a bonus on vowels where it was essentially a 2-in-5 probability question. I thought MSHSAA said they wanted to avoid these?


Sun May 04, 2014 8:14 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006
Posts: 1795
Location: St. Louis, MO
Post Re: Chip Beale made an appearance at Sectionals…
L-Town Expatriate wrote:
scphilli wrote:
IIRC from reading that question it says fairly early on that its a 6x6 grid. It's still a what the??? moment but it wasn't like you make it out.

I must not have caught 6x6 at the beginning, nor apparently did the team who initially buzzed in, as they answered as though it was a 5x5 grid.

Also worth pointing out: there was a bonus on vowels where it was essentially a 2-in-5 probability question. I thought MSHSAA said they wanted to avoid these?


The bonus you refer to is the one about dots over the vowels, same as the letter c in French turning into an s sound. And with bounce backs that can actually increase to a 1/2 probability.


Sun May 04, 2014 8:32 pm
Profile
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2004
Posts: 5394
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair
Post Re: Chip Beale made an appearance at Sectionals…
scphilli wrote:
L-Town Expatriate wrote:
scphilli wrote:
IIRC from reading that question it says fairly early on that its a 6x6 grid. It's still a what the??? moment but it wasn't like you make it out.

I must not have caught 6x6 at the beginning, nor apparently did the team who initially buzzed in, as they answered as though it was a 5x5 grid.

Also worth pointing out: there was a bonus on vowels where it was essentially a 2-in-5 probability question. I thought MSHSAA said they wanted to avoid these?


The bonus you refer to is the one about dots over the vowels, same as the letter c in French turning into an s sound. And with bounce backs that can actually increase to a 1/2 probability.

That question turned out to be handled worse by the officials (which I think were all from the host school). The away team didn't hear the word "either" and listed two parts, one of which was incorrect. They were awarded the points anyway, and the host school didn't protest. (It would not have affected the outcome of the game; the host school won that game anyway. However, I counted three screwups by the staff in that game, including their accepting just "Márquez" for "Gabriel García Márquez". All three were in favor of the away team.)


Sun May 04, 2014 9:12 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010
Posts: 68
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Post Re: Chip Beale made an appearance at Sectionals…
scphilli wrote:
IIRC from reading that question it says fairly early on that its a 6x6 grid. It's still a what the??? moment but it wasn't like you make it out.

A style point Jeff when you read this since I assume you are en route from Minnesota, the Sandra Day O'Conner tossup should replace the word "judge" with "justice." There is a difference and they WILL correct you if you say it wrong at oral argument.


Yeah, I was busy over the weekend reading some games to Hallsville.

The bingo question is clear about the size of the board right away:

2014 sectionals round 2 wrote:
Pencil and paper ready. Wendy is playing bingo using a 6-by-6 grid, and needs to know the total number of ways in which she can win. Since bingo can be achieved by completely filling any row, column, or diagonal, there are (*) --for 10 points--how many ways of winning in a 6-by-6 bingo grid?


I just fixed the text of the O'Connor question; thanks for the correction!


Tue May 06, 2014 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2004
Posts: 5394
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair
Post Thankfully, Chip Beale didn't appear at Sectionals.
Guess the home team didn't remember hearing the first part. Or me, for that matter.


Tue May 06, 2014 7:40 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bolshevik, L-Town Expatriate and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Forum style by STSoftware for PTF.
Translated by Maël Soucaze © 2010 phpBB.fr