Looking for study material?
Prepare for next season with thousands of packets FREE for study and practice use from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!
Need a new buzzer system? Apply for a $250 Matt's Buzzers grant!
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:14 pm

2014 MSHSAA Districts question discussion 

Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)
Post 2014 MSHSAA Districts question discussion
Official thread for Districts discussion.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:49 pm
Profile WWW

Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair
Post Re: 2014 MSHSAA Districts question discussion
The only comment I had last week was from one player on one team who mentioned how all the "current" events questions were dated for last fall. I doubt too many teams are concerned by how dated the questions are, and that this only impacts a few questions, but I thought I'd pass this along.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:12 am

Roger Chillingworth does not belong as an opening clue to a Scarlet Letter question. How many other novel questions begin by naming the primary antagonist? Considering the novel is widely read in high school classrooms, it only serves to cause a buzzer race in the first few words of the question.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:08 pm

This is more of a complaint stemming from the fact that I've played on (reasonably) good questions for four years and not a critique of NAQT's writing, but why does MSHSAA insist on putting what seems to be 1/1 YA lit in their distribution? Is it just a relic from a bygone age? Or does MSHSAA seriously believe that questions on Ender's Game and Thirteen Reasons Why are the best way to distinguish between the top teams in the state? I realize that many students have read these books, but I can't imagine that these books are actually in many schools' curriculums, which MSHSAA claims is the driving force behind the "official" MSHSAA Scholar Bowl distribution.

Otherwise, the questions were about as good as one could expect with a format and distribution as poor as MSHSAA's.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:34 pm

The 1/1 YA Lit thing is something that's been appearing in IS and A-sets this year. It's (probably) not a policy of MSHSAA, but a new question format NAQT is trying out.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:15 pm

Is NAQT putting YA lit in the regular lit distribution or in the "pop culture" distribution?

Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:50 pm

It was listed as "lit" in the District set. By the by, the questions on speed limits and "flambage" or whatever, that was NAQT making fun of mshsaa and its ridiculous distribution right?

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:12 am

"Medium rare", "flambe", "n-dash", "pressure cooker/double boiler", the previously mentioned YA lit, all of those.

Once again, this isn't a criticism of NAQT, because they just write what they're told to. This is a criticism of the absurd distribution that MSHSAA insists on using.

Luckily, it appears that MSHSAA has sent out surveys to quizbowl coaches around the state regarding question style and distribution, but I doubt that anything will come of it.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:11 pm

Young adult literature is classified as literature.

Regular IS sets have 2/2 such literature per 14-packet set; Introductory sets have 6/6 per 12-packet set.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:13 pm
Profile WWW

2014 MSHSAA Districts round 4 wrote:
A doctor who calls himself Roger Chillingworth discovers Reverend Arthur Dimmesdale's affair with Hester Prynne in what novel by Nathaniel Hawthorne?

2014 MSHSAA Districts round 2 wrote:
What technique, used in desserts like crepes Suzette, cherries jubilee, and {bananas Foster}, involves dousing food with alcohol and setting it on fire?

answer: flambee (accept word forms; prompt on answers like "setting it on fire" or "serve it while flaming")

2014 MSHSAA Districts round 2 wrote:
Answer these questions about speed limits in Missouri:

A. When not posted otherwise, the speed limit on Missouri freeways is 60 miles per hour in urban areas, and this higher speed in rural areas.

answer: _70_ miles per hour

B. Slow-moving vehicles--typically, those traveling slower than 25 miles per hour--are required to display a red-bordered triangle of what color to warn other motorists?

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:20 pm
Profile WWW