Looking for practice material?
Find thousands of archived packets FREE for practice and study use at the Quizbowl Packet Archive!
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:37 am

Washington Middle March 22nd 

Post Washington Middle March 22nd
Coaches,

Washington Middle School will be hosting a Middle School Tournament on March 22nd, 2014.

The tournament will use questions from National Academic Quiz Tournaments (NAQT). You can find free sample questions at http://www.naqt.com.

We are currently capping the field at 12 teams, and each team will have at least 6 guaranteed matches. Teams that were signed up for our previously canceled tournament on Feb. 8 will get preference in signing up. The field can expand if there is significantly more interest and staff. Our goal is to maximize the number of games each team can play, especially as the season is only beginning.

Prices are:
- $45 for the first team from a school, $30 for each additional team. (B, C, D, etc.)
- Fully functional buzzer systems are a $10 discount (limit 2 per team)
- Providing an experienced moderator (reader) is a $15 discount. Please let us know about these well in advance.
- Teams traveling over 100 miles (one way per Google Maps) will receive a $5 discount. The first matches will take place at 9:00 AM, and there will be a lunch break around 12 PM. There will be a concession stand (popcorn, candy, and sodas) open during the day.

Be sure to register early. If interest and staffing permits, we will lift the cap to as high as we can accommodate. Again, please let us know about buzzers and moderators as early as possible.

Teams placing 1st and 2nd will receive a trophy. There are prizes for the top 10 individual scorers.

Our school’s address is 1401 E 14th St., Washington, MO 63090.
- If you come by I-44, Washington is exit #251 on route 100 – turn right at the 100-41 intersection, and then take a left to the middle school at the 2nd stoplight.
- If you come by I-70, take exit 203 (State Hwy T) follow that for about 15 miles, turn left on 47, cross the bridge into town, and take a right to the middle school at the 5th stoplight.

If you have any other questions, my email is david.dennis@washington.k12.mo.us, and my phone is 314-239-2640.

David Dennis
Washington Middle School Brain Bowl team coach

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:54 am

Post Re: Washington Middle March 22nd
As before, if anyone else in the area would like to come and help, it'd be greatly appreciated. The teams in our immediate vicinity (St. Clair, Union, St. James, etc.) usually have teams at this time of year, and I anticipate needing to accommodate more teams this go-around.

Also, since we're hosting, put money down on some catastrophic weather that weekend. I'm beginning to think I could host in June and it would snow.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:58 am

Teams (12 of 12)
Tuscumbia
Hallsville (2)
Pilot Grove (2)
Fatima (2)
Sullivan
Richland (2)
Washington (2)

Waitlist
Richland B

Moderators
Tuscumbia (2)
Alex (Tentatively)
Hallsville (2-3)
Washington

Buzzers
Washington (4)
Sullivan
Richland
Hallsville (2)

Last edited by dwd50 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:32 am

Tentatively count me in to staff.

Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:29 am

Prelims

Combined

Pilot Grove had bus troubles and missed the first 2 rounds. But they're here now and everyone's safe.

Teams were split into pools of 6 and played a round robin. Top 2 went on to Championship bracket.

Championship bracket was Washington A, Washington B, Hallsville A, and Fatima A

Washington A went 3-0 on the afternoon to win,

Washington B, Hallsville A, and Fatima A all 3 went 1-2, with Washington B winning 2nd off total points scored in afternoon games.

A huge thanks to all the teams involved, to Alex for coming in to read and to Scott and Jason for their help and being willing to read without a scorekeeper.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:05 pm