Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Liberty 2005 Winter Tournament

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
DavidH

Post by DavidH »

Good things: Questions often tested depth of knowledge.

Bad things: foreign language questions in excess (German), lots of trivial stuff about God knows what, the questions often took turns in the middle like Chip Beal which eliminates the element of speed and is beneficial to a more timid team. The math was insane... at least for a person like me or someone else on the Savannah team (we aren't great at math). I like normal Quiz Bowl Math... factoring, dividing... adding... flashcards... anyway I can't make a legit complaint about the math other than I didn't know much of it, so I guess you showed us some stuff to improve upon which should go under good things.

Note: I was only there for two and one quarter rounds.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

From a tournament writing standpoint, to me it seems redundant to do the same math over and over; unfortunately that meant I ended up writing harder questions. Unfortunately, there's a limited number of stuff you can do in 15 seconds.

Math will definitely be easier next year, as I won't be writing any of it...

:D

Out of 40 questions, two were foreign language.... I think it's been that way every time we've written them, but I would have to play a round with that ratio that I had never seen before to determine if it's good or not. And there was probably too much German near the end.

And I did go overboard with calculations... in writing my round, I pretty much took the easy way out and made many things calculations (7 math questions as provided by the general breakdown, chemistry equation balancing, electricity question). And I'm somewhat glad neither of you got that Latin question in Quarter 2... the bonus was given a number in french and a number in german, give the sum of the numbers in Spanish...

You'll definitely be glad I'm not writing them next year... I'll probably contribute some social studies, but I will avoid math unless it's the day before they need to be done and there are none in the database. (Kyle actually submitted about 50 questions to this tournament)

LibertyMarie

Post by LibertyMarie »

the bonus was given a number in french and a number in german, give the sum of the numbers in Spanish
omfg that was the most amazing bonus evah

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

LibertyMarie wrote:
the bonus was given a number in french and a number in german, give the sum of the numbers in Spanish
omfg that was the most amazing bonus evah
This coming from the person who wrote a limerick for a question. A Star Wars question, of all things! (Rest assured, Trek will find its way back into the high school canon.)