Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Washington Middle School Feb. 8

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
dwd50

Washington Middle School Feb. 8

Post by dwd50 »

Coaches, 

Washington Middle School will be hosting a Middle School Tournament on February 8, 2013.

The tournament will use questions from National Academic Quiz Tournaments (NAQT). You can find free sample questions at http://www.naqt.com

We are currently capping the field at 12 teams, and each team will have at least 6 guaranteed matches. The field can expand if there is significantly more interest and staff. Our goal is to maximize the number of games each team can play, especially as the season is only beginning. 

Prices are:
- $40 for the first team from a school, $30 for each additional team. (B, C, D, etc.) 
- Fully functional buzzer systems are a $5 discount (limit 2 per team)
- Providing an experienced moderator (reader) is a $10 discount. Please let us know about these well in advance.
- Teams traveling over 100 miles (one way per Google Maps) will receive a $5 discount. The first matches will take place at 9:00 AM, and there will be a lunch break around 12 PM. There will be a concession stand (popcorn, candy, and sodas) open during the day. 

Spots will be filled on a first come/first served basis. Be sure to register early. If interest and staffing permits, we will lift the cap to as high as we can accommodate. Again, please let us know about buzzers and moderators as early as possible. 

Teams placing 1st and 2nd will receive a trophy. There are prizes for the top 10 individual scorers. 

Our school’s address is 1401 E 14th St., Washington, MO 63090. 
- If you come by I-44, Washington is exit #251 on route 100 – turn right at the 100-41 intersection, and then take a left to the middle school at the 2nd stoplight. 
- If you come by I-70, take exit 203 (State Hwy T) follow that for about 15 miles, turn left on 47, cross the bridge into town, and take a right to the middle school at the 5th stoplight.

If you have any other questions, my email is david.dennis@washington.k12.mo.us, and my phone is 314-239-2640. 

David Dennis
Washington Middle School Brain Bowl team coach

Edit: We are a MSHSAA school, and cannot compete against non-MSHSAA schools. There is no plan at this time to start a non-MSHSAA division.
Last edited by dwd50 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

dwd50

Re: Washington Middle School Feb. 8

Post by dwd50 »

Field (11 of 12)
Tuscumbia (2)
Washington (3)
Hallsville (2)
Pilot Grove (2)
Camdenton (2)

Waitlist
Slater

Interested
Holden

Staff
Tuscumbia (2?)
Camdenton (1)
Kevin
Last edited by dwd50 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:46 am, edited 12 times in total.

dwd50

Re: Washington Middle School Dec. 7

Post by dwd50 »

I have talked to some of you in private before about our struggles to find good help in our district. At our last tournament, the majority of the help was friends of mine in a theater company that worked at the local parochial school, not from our own district.

If you (anyone reading this) are available, we could use your help as a staffer. Please contact me, and I can get it arranged for you to get at least your gas money back.

Thanks,

David Dennis
Washington Middle School

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

We are at just a month out and the field is full.

If I get another request from a team, I can cut my number down to two.

kstockman

Post by kstockman »

dwd50 wrote:If you (anyone reading this) are available, we could use your help as a staffer. Please contact me, and I can get it arranged for you to get at least your gas money back.
David, I spoke with you at the MACA meeting about reading. I also have a few experienced high schoolers that would like to help out (to read, especially).

I still plan on coming to help, but how many students do you think you could use?

Kevin

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

So far I have:

Room 1 - Read (Tuscumbia), Score (Washington)
Room 2 - Read (Tuscumbia), Score (Washington)
Room 3 - Read (Kevin), Score (Washington)
Room 4 - Read (Alex), Score (Washington)
Room 5 - Read (Yet another fantastic member of the QB community), Score (Camdenton?)
Room 6 - Read (Camdenton), Score (Camdenton?)

I haven't reached out to my theater friends or area choir friends yet, but I'd rather not have to. I'll take all the help anyone can send.
Last edited by dwd50 on Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

Update: One spot left.

cjl78

Post by cjl78 »

dwd50 wrote:Update: One spot left.
I'll take it. I can also provide an experienced moderator, and if you are OK with MS students scorekeeping, I have a couple students who have asked to go but don't want to play.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

FYI: Feel free to use my name in your staffing post.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

Will do. I hate to assume with stuff like that.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

If we are snowed out at WMS on Friday, this tournament will be postponed or canceled outright. If the need to cancel comes up, I will post it here, as well as email all coaches and individuals involved. It will also be posted on the team's Twitter: @WMSBrainBowl.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

Looks like the weather will not cooperate. I'm penciling in Feb. 1 as the makeup date.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

Check that. Seems Feb. 1 is our HS tournament's date. I still want to be able to get volunteers, so I'll have to move it to the 8th of Feb.

If that date can't work I'm going to have to cancel. The 15th is Honor Choir, the 22nd is Pilot Grove's tournament, and March 1 is district Music Festival. I don't think I'd be able to handle running two tournaments 2 weeks apart, as my March date would be coming up.

As I tell the kids: I love coaching you guys, but choir's what they pay me for.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

Near as I can tell, the staffing for this is now:

Room 1 - Read (Tuscumbia), Score (Washington)
Room 2 - Read (Tuscumbia), Score (Washington)
Room 3 - Read (Kevin), Score (Washington)
Room 4 - Read (Washington), Score (Washington)
Room 5 - Read (Camdenton), Score (Camdenton)
Room 6 - Read (???), Score (???)
Last edited by dwd50 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cjl78

Post by cjl78 »

I have a scorekeeper as well. So the new date is Feb. 8 for sure then?

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

Yes, the 1st won't work as our HS is also hosting that day. The weeks after that for me are Honor Choir, Pilot Grove's tournament, and then the Choir Festival at Union HS. I am planning on something for March 22nd (CMST if it ever gets going, NAQT otherwise).

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

In what seems to be the standard for Washington now - if we're out on Friday, Saturday is also out. I've been putting off posting about March 22nd, which I have reserved, for just such a situation.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

And poof goes that date, as well.