Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Hallsville Invitational Tournament (3/16/2013)

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Hallsville Coach

Hallsville Invitational Tournament (3/16/2013)

Post by Hallsville Coach »

Hallsville High School is pleased to announce that we will be hosting the first annual Hallsville Invitational Tournament on March 16, 2013. This is a varsity tournament but please feel free to bring additional teams.

Format:
This tournament will be run in the twenty tossup/bonus format on NAQT Invitational Series #120. Games consist of twenty tossups worth ten points each followed by non-rebounding bonuses worth up to thirty points. Tossups will feature "powers" (additional points awarded for correct buzzes very early in the question) and "negs" (five point deductions for incorrect answers before the question is finished).
We anticipate using two full round robins in the morning and afternoon with an advantaged final to decide the champion depending on the number of teams registered.

Fees:

base fee (first team from each school): $60
second or subsequent teams: $50
travel discount (100 miles or more one way): -$10 per team
buzzer discount (must work for eight players; limit two per school): -$5

To register, please e-mail me at sallen@hallsville.org to reserve your spot. We look forward to seeing you in March.

Field List:

Tuscumbia (1 Team)
Rock Bridge (4 Teams)
Hickman (4 Teams)
Troy (1 Team)
Helias (2 or 3 Teams)
Washington (1 Team)
Cuba (1 Team)
Pilot Grove (1 Team)
Richland (1 Team)
De Smet (1 Team)
Last edited by Hallsville Coach on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Re: Hallsville Invitational Tournament (3/16/2013)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Just wanted to note for any interested teams in the KC area/northwest part of the state that this tournament is using the same question set that was used at Smithville this past weekend.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Hey Coach Allen, I can probably staff this if you want my help. Just send me an email if you do at jacob.orourke.7NOSPAM@gmail.com (just remove the NOSPAM).

Hallsville Coach

Jacob, we would most definitely appreciate having your help at our tournament!! Thanks for offering.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

I hear Rock Bridge and Hickman are sending 4 teams to this, anybody else going? Sounds like it will be good times for all.

Hallsville Coach

Field updated.

bruins4life

Post by bruins4life »

Hoping that this tourney will go to platinum certified. Bump to see if it happens.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Hickman A cleared the field to win the tournament; Rock Bridge A, De Smet, and Hickman B were tied with 3-2 playoff records. De Smet won the game against Hickman B to play Rock Bridge A for 2nd, which De Smet came back and won on the last question after being down by almost 100 going into tossup 18. Rock Bridge B and Pilot Grove rounded out the championship bracket. I believe Rock Bridge A and De Smet have qualified for HSNCT for the first time! Congratulations to all teams for another day of great performances!

Stats are here.

The tournament is currently listed as Gold certified for PACE NSC, but I don't see any reason why this tournament shouldn't be platinum - all teams got 9 games and it used an IS set without math computation. That should mean in addition to the top 3 teams that got HSNCT bids, Hickman B and Rock Bridge B should also get NSC bids.

I thought this tournament went exceptionally well - Coach Allen and the Hallsville team did a fantastic job putting on a great tournament. I look forward to staffing more Hallsville tournaments in the future!

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Hallsville did an excellent job running this tournament and I think everyone should go next year. I had a great time and I think the players did too.

Hallsville Coach

I would like to thank everyone who attended our tournament on Saturday. The teams and coaches were great. My players had a great time hosting the tournament. I would also like to thank Jacob O'Rourke, Jeffrey Hill, Jason Loy, Greg Irwin and Charlie Dees for helping with the tournament. You guys really helped to make things run smoothly. Thanks again for all of your help, we really appreciated it.

Hallsville Coach

We were just informed that this tournament has been ugraded to Platinum Certification. The top 25% will qualify for PACE NSC.