Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

MOQBA Winter Invitational - Orchard Farm 1/12/13

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
kstockman

MOQBA Winter Invitational - Orchard Farm 1/12/13

Post by kstockman »

This is an announcement one of the MOQBA Winter Invitationals to be hosted on January 12, 2013 at Orchard Farm High School. This tournament will be an NAQT A-set event, specifically using IS-121A and is NOT a novice event. Every program that is invited is allowed to play their full A-team (and any other teams you want!). There will be an 18 team field cap, and will accept teams on a first come, first served basis. We will offer 8-10 games for all teams, based on final field sizes.

Entry fees are as follows:
The costs for each tournament will be as follows:
$60 - Base fee for each team
$5 discount - for each fully functional buzzer system
$5 discount - for each additional team a school brings (in other words, B teams cost $55)
$10 discount - for teams who did not play an MOQBA event last year
$20 discount - for each experienced moderator a team brings (we will have to approve the moderator before we give the discount, so email the host about this before bringing your moderator to the tournament)

If you would like to register, please email me at kstockman@ofsd.k12.mo.us with any contact information and number of teams/buzzers/staff you plan on bringing.

Thanks, and we hope to see you at "The Farm" on the 12th!

Kevin Stockman
OFHS Coach

P.S. Please note that this is the same tournament set being used for Truman High School’s annual Sknow Bowl tournament. If you choose to attend that event, you won’t be able to also play the Winter Invitational.
Last edited by kstockman on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kstockman

Re: MOQBA Winter Invitational - Orchard Farm 1/12/13

Post by kstockman »

Field: (updated on Jan 10)

Teams (18/18)

Elsberry (1)
Lutheran St. Charles (2)
Montgomery County (1)
Rockwood Summit (1)
Mehlville (1)
Webster Groves (3)
Warrenton (1)
Troy Buchanan (1)
Eureka (1)
SLUH (2)
Pattonville (1)
Parkway West (1)
Parkway Central (1)
Trinity (1)
Last edited by kstockman on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:52 pm, edited 23 times in total.

OakvilleHSCoach

Post by OakvilleHSCoach »

"The only teams that may be asked to not apply are the highly ranked teams/players."

I am not sure if you would consider Oakville one of these teams, but I have a lot of new players this year who have never played quiz bowl, ever. Can I register one team, one buzzer of new kids for this tournament? I can also bring varsity kids to help staff if you need.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Sorry, I was tired and made a dumb post.
Last edited by Charlie Dees on Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kstockman

Post by kstockman »

We have filled up! We will be maintaining a wait list for now with a possibility of expanding the field.

ShinyCharizard

Post by ShinyCharizard »

Will this tournament be expanded, or do more teams need to register for that to happen?

kstockman

Post by kstockman »

ShinyCharizard wrote:Will this tournament be expanded, or do more teams need to register for that to happen?
We only have 2 schools on the wait-list, so it does not look like we will expand. More schools would be nice, but I do not have 9 moderators lined up as of yet. I will be sending an email out to registered teams this week asking coaches to verify their intent to attend.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Coach Stockman,

I am more than willing to moderate at this event, unfortunately I do not drive and St. Charles is a bit beyond the Metro's transportation range. If any person is going to this from the STL area, I would be more than grateful for a lift. Hope this can be of help!

kstockman

Post by kstockman »

scphilli wrote:Coach Stockman,

I am more than willing to moderate at this event, unfortunately I do not drive and St. Charles is a bit beyond the Metro's transportation range. If any person is going to this from the STL area, I would be more than grateful for a lift. Hope this can be of help!
Sean,

I think we're okay for moderators, but I may need some help using the stat tracking software. If you know how to use SQBS (and can get a ride), you are more than welcome to join us for the tournament! Where in the city/county are you coming from?

Kevin

kstockman

Post by kstockman »

Field updated on 1/9.

kstockman

Post by kstockman »

Field updated 1/10.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

kstockman wrote:
scphilli wrote:Coach Stockman,

I am more than willing to mOooderate at this event, unfortunately I do not drive and St. Charles is a bit beyond the Metro's transportation range. If any person is going to this from the STL area, I would be more than grateful for a lift. Hope this can be of help!
Sean,

I think we're okay for moderators, but I may need some help using the stat tracking software. If you know how to use SQBS (and can get a ride), you are more than welcome to join us for the tournament! Where in the city/county are you coming from?

Kevin
I have sqbs on my laptop and could do stats assuming I can get there. I live in Rock Hill off of Manchester & McKnight.

kstockman

Post by kstockman »

Stats later, but...

Parkway West beat SLUH-A 380-335 in an awesome back-and-forth final. There were 6 lead changes and two ties -- one of which was after question 18. It was a great game!

Thanks everyone for coming out to "The Farm" and we hope to see you next year!

Kevin Stockman

kstockman

Post by kstockman »

ShinyCharizard

Post by ShinyCharizard »

This tournament was great. It was very well run and I enjoyed it very much even though our full team couldn't make it. I would also like to thank and congratulate everybody from Orchard Farm on their first tournament which I think was run solely by Orchard Farm people.