Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

2012 Missouri Fall Academic Tournament (10/20/2012)

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Charlie Dees

2012 Missouri Fall Academic Tournament (10/20/2012)

Post by Charlie Dees »

Hello Coaches,

The University of Missouri Quizbowl Club is pleased to announce that we are planning on hosting our fifth annual Missouri Fall Academic Tournament on October 20th, 2012. This is the first varsity invitational tournament of the year, and we hope you will consider our event as a season kickoff for your team. In our past four years, thanks to our central location that allows for most teams from around the state to make the day trip to Columbia, we have had the incredible fortune to be able to attract many of the very best teams in the state from both major cities and all places in between, so we hope to be able to offer you a good chance to play many of this year’s most competitive teams.

There are a lot of changes to the price of this tournament to make it cheaper for everybody. I am especially excited to let you know that this tournament is offering free entry to all teams who did not play a Missouri Quizbowl Alliance-certified tournament in the last season. We are also offering a $20 discount for teams who did play an MOQBA event last year, but have never attended a tournament at Mizzou since 2008. Lastly, we are reducing the overall The Missouri Quizbowl Alliance is a statewide group promoting high quality quizbowl. Criteria for certification include pyramidal questions, a guarantee of six rounds minimum per team, and other factors that MOQBA considers valuable for high quality quizbowl. Details on MOQBA and its certification procedures can be found online at http://www.moqba.org.

We will be using an Invitational Series set written by National Academic Quiz Tournaments, and we will use the same game format as last year (20 tossups with 30 point rebounding bonuses, and tossups will have -5 point penalties for an early buzz that is incorrect, and powers, or an extra 5 points for a correct early buzz). These are the same style of questions that NAQT will be using in the MSHSAA State Championship.

We will be giving out trophies to the top 3 teams, and if we have a large enough field of small schools, we will also give out an award to the top placing small school team. We will be using NAQT's definition of a small school, which is any non-selective public school with 500 or fewer students in grades 10-12.

This tournament will be using a rule where each team can have a maximum of 6 players. If you have more than that, do not feel hesitant signing up an extra team so that every player gets more opportunities to participate in games.

The field will be capped at 36 teams. Spaces will be allotted on a first-come, first-serve basis. We will form a waitlist, and if teams drop, we will proceed down the list in order. If the field fills, then we will be able to guarantee you a 10 game schedule, which we are very excited to offer your team to allow them to get increased early season playing time. Also, if we fill the field, then the top 6 teams and possibly the top small school will qualify for the 2013 NAQT High School National Championship. Additionally, the top teams will qualify for the 2013 PACE National Scholastics Championship.

We already have an excellent field, with multiple teams from the top 10 in the pre-season ranking, Ladue and the Illinois Math and Science Academy, and three states represented. Here is the current field:

Clayton (2)
Columbia Independent School
Cuba*
Hallsville (2)*
Hickman (3)
Higbee*
Illinois Math and Science Academy
Jefferson City
Ladue Horton Watkins (5)
Lutheran St. Charles
Mehlville
North Kansas City
Oakville
Pilot Grove*
Rock Bridge (2)
Rockwood Summit
Smith-Cotton
Springfield Catholic
Thomas Jefferson IDS (2)
Tolton Catholic
Tuscumbia*

Entry Fees
First team from a school: $60
Additional teams from the same school: $50
Buzzer system discount*: -$5 per system per team, up to $15 off.
Staffer discounts: -$5 per team that brings a scorekeeper, and -$25 for each experienced moderator a team brings. This can be a coach, parent, or any other person attending who isn’t playing. We will provide the scorekeeper with a lunch. For both the staff discounts, we need to know about your plans to bring staff before the tournament, and we reserve the right to not take you up on your staff and their discount.
* In order to receive the buzzer system discount, the system must be fully functional for 8 players.

To register, please email me at mizzouquizbowl@gmail.com with the name of your school, how many teams you wish to enter, and the best way to contact you with any questions. At this point, the field is full, so we will put you on the waitlist incase anybody drops.

Also, be sure to look out for our other tournaments on December 1st, and on February 2nd. Our campus will also be hosting the Missouri NAQT Qualifier tournament on March 2nd. We also recommend you look into attending other MOQBA events, which can be found on our website at http://moqba.org/calendar/.

We hope to see you in Columbia on October 20th to kick off the new quizbowl season!

Charles Dees
Tournament Director

P.S. We would like to recommend that if you are interested in finding more practice material to prepare for our events, you check out quizbowlpackets.com, which is an archive of hundreds of high school packets.
Last edited by Charlie Dees on Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:36 am, edited 32 times in total.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Re: 2012 Missouri Fall Academic Tournament (10/20/2012)

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Charles, I anticipate helping out at this tournament should you need my assistance. Ditto for Tiger Bowl & Mort Walker.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

13 spots left! This is too cool for words.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

IMSA signed up for this, which is a very big deal.

OakvilleHSCoach

Post by OakvilleHSCoach »

Please sign up Oakville for one team, one buzzer.

aloveday

Post by aloveday »

If spaces remain, please save one for Villa Duchesne.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

I edited the top post with the announcement that I'm about to email out to coaches. Expect the field to fill today.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Yeah, the field filled.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

This tournament is happening tomorrow in the Arts and Sciences building, with registration starting at 8, so remember to be there!

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Today, we had an incredible day of quizbowl at MU. After 10 rounds, we whittled down our 32 team field to 4 superplayoff teams, Clayton A, Ladue A, Ladue B, and the Illinois Math and Science Academy, who drove all the way in. After the superplayoffs, Clayton placed fourth, Ladue B took home the third place trophy, and Ladue went into the final undefeated, with a one game advantage over IMSA. IMSA then dealt Ladue their first loss of the tournament, before Ladue rebounded in round 2 of the finals and won the championship of our fifth ever Missouri Fall Academic Tournament. I think everyone who watched the finals series can agree, those were probably the best games ever played in Missouri. It was great to see so much talent on display today, and everyone deserves a round of applause.

Stats will be up soon, special thanks to Jacob O'Rourke being willing to drive in and do a usually thankless job that we needed the help with. Everyone else who staffed today, you are awesome. And of course, thank you coaches and players for supporting us.

Again, congratulations to both Ladue and IMSA, both teams who seemed to me to be solidly in the hunt for a national title.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Prelims stats are up. I will finish and upload the playoffs and superplayoffs stats once I've actually gotten some sleep.

Playoff stats are up.

Superplayoffs plus Finals

Combined

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Bump because Jacob posted the full stats directly above.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

This was my first time staffing a Mizzou tournament that I wasn't involved in directing or planning. I would like to give a big shout out to Charlie Dees and Jacob Billingsley for doing a very capable job! The event ran smoothly thanks to these two gentlemen as well as all the other dedicated staffers who came in to help out.

The teams also performed beautifully, as was expected given the depth of the field and the general growth of quiz bowl in Missouri over the last few years. Thanks to IMSA for driving in to play and provide more top-tier competition for Ladue!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

I seem to have neglected adding my usual compliments and praise to Mr. Dees and Mr. Billingsley for an excellent job! It was a long day but it was super fun. I went to my first quizbowl tournament at Mizzou in the fall of 1996 and as impressive as say Mike Wehrman and Paul Nelson were back then, I swear the kids that play on all the teams are getting far scarier on balance than we all were.

Hats off and keep up the good work teams!

christino

Post by christino »

Is there a reason why no teams in this tournament have qualified to PACE yet? (at least according to the PACE website)