Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

NKC End of Season Tournament (Canceled)

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Moonbeam

NKC End of Season Tournament (Canceled)

Post by Moonbeam »

Hello Coaches,

North Kansas City’s Quizbowl Team is excited to announce our first annual End of the Season Tournament, which will take place on March 24th, 2012. This tournament is intended to be a chance for teams in the Kansas City area to play one last tournament before MSHSAA districts. This tournament will use questions from NAQT’s IS-113, which are similar in style to the pyramidal questions that NAQT uses in their MSHSAA state series, so this will be a good chance to prepare for state.

This tournament will use a format similar to that used at our other recent tournaments. There will be 20 tossups in each game, and each correct tossup will have a 30-point rebounding bonus attached to it. Tossups will be worth 10 points normally, but we will have 15 point “powers” for correct early buzzes, and -5 point penalties for interrupts. There will not be calculation tossups, although there will be math calculation bonuses along with non-calculation math questions.

This tournament will be guaranteeing many more matches than usual in the Kansas City area, in part because the 20 tossup game format allows matches to be completed much faster than a MSHSAA format event, and also because consolation matches will be offered to teams who do not make the playoffs. Teams registering for this event will be playing at least 9 games.

This tournament will have an 18 team cap, with spots going on a first-come, first-served basis. This will be a “varsity” event, meaning anybody can play, and we encourage teams to bring along their JV players as B or C teams so they can get more experience playing. We will be instituting a 6-player cap on teams.

Our entry fees are as follows:

$65 for the first team a school enters into the field.
$55 for every additional team a school enters into the field.
-$5 for every buzzer a team brings (maximum of 3)
-$5 for every 100 miles a team travels.

This tournament is being sanctioned by the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance, which is an organization that helps promote and direct quizbowl tournaments around the state. There are other MOQBA-sponsored events being run in Western Missouri which you can find out about at their website, http://moqba.org/calendar/.

This tournament is also going to be one of the few chances in Kansas City this season to qualify the for the 2012 PACE National Scholastics Championship. PACE Nationals are being run in St. Louis this year, on the campus of Washington University from June 8th-9th, making it easier than ever for teams in the area to attend nationals. This tournament will also qualify the top 15% of teams for the 2012 NAQT High School National Championship Tournament in Atlanta, GA over Memorial Day weekend.

If your team is interested in attending, please email wombatdivision@yahoo.com to register. We hope to see you at Northtown!

-Selena Montes, Tournament Director
Last edited by Moonbeam on Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Re: NKC End of Season Tournament

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Is there a field for this?

Moonbeam

Post by Moonbeam »

We have decided to cancel this tournament due to a lack of interest.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Moonbeam wrote:We have decided to cancel this tournament due to a lack of interest.
Unfortunate that not enough teams would sign up for what could have been a well-run tournament. I'm wondering if the lack of teams signing up is because of teams thinking they need a break or maxing out on tourneys. (Pretend I'm also pitching this question to Centralia.)

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Re: NKC End of Season Tournament (Canceled)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I believe there are also tournaments at Marshall and Maryville this weekend. Several schools also don't participate in tournaments during their spring breaks. It's just not a weekend that can be saturated with so many (6+) tournaments.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

I'd be curious to know who is attending Marshall and Maryville though. Are a lot of Kansas City teams making the hour and a half drive to either of these places?

L-Town Expatriate

ashkenaziCD wrote:I'd be curious to know who is attending Marshall and Maryville though. Are a lot of Kansas City teams making the hour and a half drive to either of these places?
On top of that, is Lexington still hosting a tournament? They've typically had the last in March if not the one before.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Lexington isn't, which is why it seemed like Kansas City was free for another tournament towards the end of the season.

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

Last year 26 teams went to Marshall's tournament, but I don't think one of them was from the KC area.

This year it's disappointing that so many schools are opting for Marshall since I assume it will be MSHSAA format and not even with NAQT questions, since didn't NAQT say they weren't providing non-league, non-state/district tournaments?

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

I am almost positive Marshall will be using Questions Galore (or some abomination of questions like that). Quite frankly, I wish that they had, you know, publicized it on the internet (I checked, they didn't).

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

It's definitely not NAQT, since Marshall isn't listed on their website's schedule.

L-Town Expatriate

Mickey0R0urke wrote:I am almost positive Marshall will be using Questions Galore (or some abomination of questions like that). Quite frankly, I wish that they had, you know, publicized it on the internet (I checked, they didn't).
I'd have to agree. Coach Connor's used them for years.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

I heard that there are no closer teams to Kansas City than Lexington in the Marshall field. I suspect there are maybe a couple teams in the usual Kansas City/St. Jo drawing area going to Maryville, but I'll be honestly kind of impressed (albeit frustrated that it's for a MSHSAA event) if there are more than a couple teams willing to make that particular drive.

panthers787

Post by panthers787 »

Oak Grove and Excelsior Springs are also in the Marshall field.