Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

MST History Bowl

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
clairequinn13

MST History Bowl

Post by clairequinn13 »

Missouri S&T in Rolla, is hosting a History bowl Feb 25. I have gotten everything on the schools end approved but now I need to get a hold of coaches and teams. Any help would be appreciated! Its a free tournament, but we would ask that teams bring buzzers, the tournament will be mainly focused around humanities subjects. Please help me get this rolling! Thank you all!!!

Jason Loy

Re: MST History Bowl

Post by Jason Loy »

What kind of questions/format will you be using? How many teams can you accommodate and how many teams matches will you guarantee each team?

clairequinn13

Post by clairequinn13 »

The history club will be writing pyramidal questions, and i just learned today that we might be changing the tournament to a week or two later i will know for sure on Wednesday and be able to answer questions better then. We are looking to have 16 teams. best out of 4 rounds move on to the later rounds.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

From an S&T alum - it's definitely good to see that you're interested in running a high-quality tournament. The area could certainly use more of them. Unfortunately, either of the next two Saturdays after February 25 would be very bad days for your event. March 3 is the date of the NAQT Missouri Qualifier at Mizzou, which is one of the largest tournaments in the state (it already has a full 36-team field and a waitlist) and would hurt your turnout, while Missouri S&T's Academic Competition Organization is holding its annual spring tournament on March 10, which would be a bad thing to conflict with for obvious reasons.

If you're interested in coordinating with S&T ACO (and you should be; working together on your events is good for everyone involved) you should get in touch with Alex Smith, who is the current president of ACO and has an account on this board.

edit: Also worth mentioning: the original February 25 date conflicts with tournaments at Villa Duchesne HS in St. Louis and Helias HS in Jefferson City.

emanresu

Post by emanresu »

I'm Alex Smith, the president of S&T's ACO. We can help you host the tournament by staffing or whatever. Also, I have some experience with running a tournament, so if you have any questions I might be able to answer them or at least point you to someone who can. But like Matt said, March 3rd or 10th are pretty bad days to have the tournament since we wouldn't be able to help and you probably wouldn't get a good turnout. If you want to contact me, send me an email at alexpsmith@gmail.com.