2012 Nationals bids thread
The Missouri Quizbowl Alliance encourages all teams to work towards qualifying for two high quality national tournaments, which regularly feature highly competitive fields of the nation's top teams. This thread provides information about how to qualify for these tournaments, a list of qualifying tournaments, as well as a list of Missouri teams that have qualified for the 2012 iterations of these tournaments.
___________________________________________________________________NAQT High School National Championship Tournament
The 2012 NAQT High School National Championship Tournament
will be held on May 25-27, 2012 in Atlanta, GA.HSNCT Qualification Criteria
1. Finishing in the top 15% of the field at any event that uses NAQT questions.
2. Finishing as the highest-placed team at an NAQT State Championship or NAQT State Qualifier that had not qualified for the HSNCT prior to the state tournament.
3. Being the top team from a small (public) school (by NAQT's definition
) at any event that uses NAQT questions, so long as the team also finishes at least tied for the median position in the overall standings. (NAQT defines a small school as one with "fewer than 500 students in grades 10-12 and a non-selective admission policy.")
4. Winning any class or division of an official state championship with rules and questions similar to those of NAQT.
While NAQT also allows qualification through wildcard bids, MSHSAA rules currently prohibit Missouri teams from attending a national tournament on a wildcard bid. Full details about qualifying for HSNCT are available on NAQT's website
* Base fee (on or before April 27): $595; (on or after April 28) $615 [If you first qualify after April 1 the cutoff date is May 7]
* Buzzer systems: -$50 per system, each team may claim up to two such discounts. Lockout systems will be tested at check-in, and those that don't have at least eight functioning buzzers will be denied the discount.
* Qualified, experienced scorekeeper: -$75 discount. This scorekeeper will not necessarily scorekeep for his or her school's matches; he or she will be assigned as the tournament director sees fit. Also, a team claiming this discount must still have at least one adult coach/chaperone with the team at all matches.
___________________________________________________________________PACE National Scholastics Championship
The 2012 PACE National Scholastics Championship
will take place on June 9 and 10 at Washington University in St. Louis.NSC Qualification Criteria
The top 15% teams from any affiliated tournament, the top 20% of any "gold-certified" tournament, and the top 25% of any "platinum-certified" tournament, receive automatic qualification to the 2012 PACE NSC.
While PACE also allows qualification through wildcard bids, MSHSAA rules currently prohibit Missouri teams from attending a national tournament on a wildcard bid. Full details about qualifying for NSC are available on PACE's website
.NSC Fees and Discounts
* Base fee: $500 per team
* Automatic qualifier discount: -$25 per applicable team (all eligible teams from Missouri qualify for this discount since MSHSAA doesn't allow wildcard bids)
* Gold qualifier discount: -$50 per applicable team
* Platinum qualifier discount: -$75 per applicable team
* Buzzer systems: -$10 each per system, no limit
* Staffers: -$50 each per school, max 2 per school
* Hosting a gold-certified tournament: -$10 each per tournament, no limit
* Hosting a platinum-certified tournament: -$20 each per tournament, no limit
* Early payment discount: -$25 from total fee for paying by March 1