Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Villa Duchesne Invitational -- Formal Announcement

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

All of you are cordially invited to attend the inaugural Villa Duchesne Invitational on Saturday, February 20, 2010 at Villa Duchesne and Oak Hill School in west St. Louis County. Villa Duchesne team coach Anthony Loveday will be running the event with Paul Nelson of the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance. At this time, we anticipate a 16-team field with the most competitive teams from St. Louis and across Missouri in attendance.

This tournament will operate on questions from NAQT, specifically set IS-92. The format will be similar to recent NAQT tournaments held elsewhere in Missouri—pyramidal questions, neg-5’s for incorrect early buzzes, 15 points instead of 10 for correct early answers, and no rebounding on bonuses. Because of the tournament's format, the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance has certified this tournament as being representative of good quizbowl.

The tournament field will be broken into two brackets of eight teams for preliminary rounds, with a round robin in each bracket, for seven prelim rounds total. After lunch, teams will be broken up into four groups of four based on record and total points for pool play. The winner from the top pool will be the champion. We expect the tournament to conclude around 4 P.M., which should be very reasonable for most teams, but this also guarantees 10 rounds for each team.

Since this is an official NAQT tournament, your team can earn a berth into NAQT’s high school nationals at this event. The top 15% of the field inclusive will automatically qualify (If we have 16 teams, the top three finishers will qualify) for NAQT’s high school nationals in Chicago on May 28 – 30, 2010. In addition, if the top small school (defined as a school with less than 500 students and a non-selective admissions policy according to NAQT rules) does not finish in the top 15% of the field, they will also qualify automatically.

Entry fees will work on the following schedule:

First team base fee: $65
Second (and subsequent) team fee: $55
Buzzer discount: -$5
Distance discount (for teams traveling more than 200 miles one way): -$10

To register, please email Anthony Loveday at aloveday@vdoh.org with your school name, the number of teams you are entering and your contact information. If you have any questions before registering, please let Anthony know. We look forward to seeing all of you at Villa Duchesne on February 20.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

Field update (as of 2-19)

De Smet
Clayton (2)
Savannah
Villa Duchesne
Parkway South (2)
Parkway Central
Helias
Hancock (2)
Ladue
Eureka
Lutheran South
Webster Groves (2)
Glasgow
SLUH
Metro A
Francis Howell Central
Rosati-Kain
Valley Park
Parkway North
Last edited by PenforPrez on Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 22 times in total.

OakvilleHSCoach

Post by OakvilleHSCoach »

I would enter, but it sounds like my team would get slaughtered. We are a brand new team this year.

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

Exposure can't hurt.

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

Plus if your team becomes acquainted with better teams you can get great advice for a new program.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

From my perspective as a player, you should enter anyway, Coach Carter--having been slaughtered by far better teams (and by far greater margins) than the teams that will be at Villa, it's actually not that bad as long as you know you've played your best--it merely gives you something to shoot for.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

OakvilleHSCoach wrote:I would enter, but it sounds like my team would get slaughtered. We are a brand new team this year.
You should enter; it's going to be a lot of fun. :) I really want to get as many St. Louis-area teams together as possible; that was one thing Anthony Loveday and I want to accomplish with this tournament.

Spencer (FishyFreshman) makes a very good point about getting good pointers from better teams. This event would give you the opportunity to talk to some good coaches and get some ideas. Not only that, but playing good teams on good questions is the best way to improve. I said the exact thing to the coach from another first-year team just on Friday.

This tournament would be a great way for you guys to learn and improve, so you really should come. Let me know if you need any more information.

WillHack

Post by WillHack »

And as Charles knows, sometimes the overdog doesn't win. Your new team may be able to beat some established ones, if they practice hard.

Machina

Post by Machina »

Don't be afraid, Ms. Carter! To second what Spencer said, getting out and going to tournaments really helps your team to bond with other teams and to get tips on how to improve. ^_^ Believe me, we at Villa did not know what to expect our first year. And we played some pretty brutal teams along the way. (Like Charles' team. XD) I'm sure your team would have a great time at the tournament. And I'm not just saying that because I go there. :D

AShoaib

Post by AShoaib »

Yeah. Go for it. There's typically a reduction in price for new teams, so the cost should be less.

A lot of the high schoolers/college kids here on the forums will gladly give you tips too!

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

I posted a complete field update just now. This field is filling up fast. Not bad for five months in advance. :)

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

AShoaib wrote:Yeah. Go for it. There's typically a reduction in price for new teams, so the cost should be less.
That's not actually true, Abdullah. For some college tournaments like ours that I invited you to, that is the case, but I have never seen a high school tournament offer new to quizbowl discounts.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

We are up to 12 teams as of today, so only four spots left. :)

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

Anthony Loveday and I have agreed to expand the Duchesne field to 21. We are currently at 15 with three months to go, so we wanted to expand the field to allow more teams the chance to play the good teams already signed up. :)

PenforPrez

Re: Villa Duchesne Invitational -- Formal Announcement

Post by PenforPrez »

Officially, as of today, the Villa Duchesne Invitational field is full at 21 teams. Three months in advance. Not bad for a brand new tournament. :wink:

Any additional entrants will be added to a priority waitlist, and will be entered if teams drop. Please feel free to let Anthony Loveday if you would like to enter at aloveday@vdoh.org.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

The full field is now posted.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

That's a solid field.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

DeckardCain wrote:That's a solid field.
I thought the same thing. I'm really excited about this. :D

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

PenforPrez wrote:Field update (as of 11-29)

De Smet
Clayton
Savannah
Villa Duchesne (2 teams)
Parkway South (2)
Parkway Central
Helias
Hancock (2)
Ladue (2)
Eureka
Lutheran South
Webster Groves (2)
Glasgow
Priory
SLUH
Metro A

Waitlist:

Metro B
I'd make a prediction, but first, I'm not Tom Morrell, and second, I don't know how good some of these teams are...

Looks like it'll be good fun though

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

Ahhh...
I believe February 20 is the date for our regional Science Olympiad tournament (the top few teams advance to the state tournament on March 27)

I'm not sure how this would affect Parkway Central's team at this invitational. I probably won't be able to make it. And I'll have to check with Chris...

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

dividebyzero wrote:Ahhh...
I believe February 20 is the date for our regional Science Olympiad tournament (the top few teams advance to the state tournament on March 27)

I'm not sure how this would affect Parkway Central's team at this invitational. I probably won't be able to make it. And I'll have to check with Chris...
Ohhhh balls, you may be right.

Wouldn't do to abandon Bergeron when I told him i'd be available on this day

Son of a...

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

Although I would love to play some of these strong teams for the first time this year, due to the prior commitment noted above, I most likely won't make it. And judging by Chris's blunt response, he won't make it either. Oh well, we'll probably still be able to get enough guys together to have a full team attend.

Last year, Science Olympiad conflicted with WUHSAC (January 31, 2009 if I'm not mistaken), but it wasn't as vital for me to be there for Science Olympiad, so I went to WUHSAC instead. No such luck this year...

WillHack

Post by WillHack »

Ugh, this is why I never let Bergeron talk me into doing anything, including but not limited to my homework.

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

I volunteered for this duty before I was ever aware of a Villa-sponsored tourney.

Oh well... we'll deal. We've got our HSNCT/PACE bids already anyways, so it doesn't matter TOO much... I just wish we could've gone anyways.

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

I just wish we could've gone anyways.
By "we" I hope you mean just me and you. Hopefully most of the other guys (including Sean and people who don't normally play on the A team) will still be able to make it...
And I'm confident that they can do just fine without us as long as they make sure to balance the team properly

saking

Post by saking »

I am the new QB coach for Francis Howell Central High School in St. Charles. Would you please add our name to your wait list for your invitational on February 20th?

Sharon King
Scholar Quiz Bowl Coach
Francis Howell Central High School
5199 Highway N
St. Charles, MO 63304
sharon.king@fhsdschools.org

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

saking wrote:I am the new QB coach for Francis Howell Central High School in St. Charles. Would you please add our name to your wait list for your invitational on February 20th?

Sharon King
Scholar Quiz Bowl Coach
Francis Howell Central High School
5199 Highway N
St. Charles, MO 63304
sharon.king@fhsdschools.org
I've noted this and added FHC to the wait list. Please email Anthony Loveday (aloveday@vdoh.org) to confirm your interest. If you have any questions, feel free to post it here. :)

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

The field has been updated again; there may be more teams on the waitlist. Anthony and I are talking about upping the field size again (if we can find the staff), so if you're on the waitlist or want to sign up, don't worry. We'll try to find room for as many teams as possible. :)

PCreedon

Post by PCreedon »

What difficulty level will the NAQT questions be, or is that giving away too much?

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

PCreedon wrote:What difficulty level will the NAQT questions be, or is that giving away too much?
The set you guys played on at Spirit of St. Louis at Parkway Central was what we call an A-set-- it's an introductory set where questions are slightly shorter than most NAQT questions and the easiest in difficulty. The set to be used at Villa Duchesne will be a level 2 set. The questions will be a half-line to a line longer per tossup and slightly more difficult overall, but you probably won't notice the difference.

The biggest difference will be in the level of competition. There were plenty of good teams at Spirit of St. Louis, but seven of the top ten teams in the state (as noted in the poll results released today) will be at this event. So it may seem more difficult than you might think otherwise, but that will be because of the higher level of competition, not the questions so much.

Machina

Post by Machina »

I'm actually rather excited to play in this tournament, and am thrilled at the field that has coalesced. XD

I did get a feeling that the Spirit of STL questions were a bit on the short side. What sort of set would the NAQT Qualifier use?

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

Machina wrote: I did get a feeling that the Spirit of STL questions were a bit on the short side. What sort of set would the NAQT Qualifier use?
Spirit of StL was also an NAQT qualifier, and I don't personally think the questions were that bad. Granted, they weren't the hardest set I've ever played, but overall the format was good and the difficulty was acceptable. Going off of what Paul said, I don't think this set should be terribly difficult for you guys, seeing as you tore apart [most of :wink: ] the rounds at Spirit of StL. As for our team (not to demean any of our guys who are going), we're going to have to work a bit harder to do well at this tournament. There are going to be tougher teams, and we're not going to have all of our usual starters available (me and Chris are far from necessary for the team's success, but I'd like to think that we provide fairly good support, especially since we are, if you don't mind my saying so, a relatively balanced team.) However, there are a lot of less regular/experienced (but nonetheless very good) players, such as Sean, who could definitely fill in for us, so I guess we'll just have to see then...

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

Machina wrote:I'm actually rather excited to play in this tournament, and am thrilled at the field that has coalesced. XD
This tournament is already a success beyond my wildest dreams. I wanted this to be a prestige event, and it's going to be harder to find a better field anywhere this year. :D
Machina wrote:I did get a feeling that the Spirit of STL questions were a bit on the short side. What sort of set would the NAQT Qualifier use?
The Qualifier will use a set identical to what we will be using at Villa Duchesne. Same length, difficulty and question distribution.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

For those who played at Mizzou's October tournament, we used another IS set, which is supposed to be the style and difficulty of this and the NAQT Qualifier.

OakvilleHSCoach

Post by OakvilleHSCoach »

I would also like to be put on the wait list for Oakville High School. We will be bringing one team and one buzzer system.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

OakvilleHSCoach wrote:I would also like to be put on the wait list for Oakville High School. We will be bringing one team and one buzzer system.
That's great! :) Please email Anthony Loveday at aloveday@vdoh.org to confirm that. I have added you to the list here, but your entry will not be official until you contact him.

The field is currently at 21, and we are guaranteeing that number of teams. However, we're hoping to find enough staff to increase the field size to 24, which would eliminate most of the waiting list. Our staff recruitment is going very well, so I'm optimistic we can. We'll know in another week or two if we can expand the field.

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

Time to correct myself. As far as I know, Chris will be able to make it to this tournament, so that should help our chances. Unfortunately, Ammar is probably still booked with science olympiad :( (which, now that I think about it, Ladue should probably also be going to, seeing as they did go to nationals last year, though I have no idea if their academic team this year will have any overlap with scioly...). Kind of wish I could come to this tournament instead (have a good time, play some tough competition on good questions, meet some new people, hang out with friends, etc.), but I'm probably more replaceable in academic team than in science olypmiad. Guess I still have WUHSAC to look forward to :)

logic2718

Post by logic2718 »

dividebyzero wrote:Ladue should probably also be going to, seeing as they did go to nationals last year, though I have no idea if their academic team this year will have any overlap with scioly
hm. this is a good question and it has immeasurable implications for the difficulty of the field. I'm good friends with some of the Ladue team members, and I know that at least a few of them do scioly. Perhaps a substantial number of their best QBers aren't going to Villa? Or maybe they're not doing scioly this year? Not sure. But thanks for pointing this out; I'll ask them.

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

logic2718 wrote:
dividebyzero wrote:Ladue should probably also be going to, seeing as they did go to nationals last year, though I have no idea if their academic team this year will have any overlap with scioly
hm. this is a good question and it has immeasurable implications for the difficulty of the field. I'm good friends with some of the Ladue team members, and I know that at least a few of them do scioly. Perhaps a substantial number of their best QBers aren't going to Villa? Or maybe they're not doing scioly this year? Not sure. But thanks for pointing this out; I'll ask them.
Good idea, but take your time. :mrgreen: I'm not particularly stoked to have to face Ladue's full team at scioly... (although we have beat them for the past couple years at regionals, despite the fact that they came back to get first or second at state and book a spot at nationals)
We haven't played them yet this year in Academic Team (although they were ranked #1 as of the last poll...) I wonder if we'll be able to take them on? The only time we've really ever played them was at districts/sectionals, but that was on QG, and they've lost at least a couple of top-notch players from last year if I'm not mistaken (Mark Prablek, Jack Chen, not sure who else)

logic2718

Post by logic2718 »

Same as you, the only time we've played them was at state last year on QG. They lost Marc, Jason, and Jack- probably one of the strongest trios I've seen. But they still have some other very good players (Zev Kane, Zach Bell, Sam Lite). They're obviously an incredible force, especially considering their 1st place finish at Mizzou Fall. Not like I want you to lose or anything...but I really hope they go to scioly :P

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

Change of plans. Due to Bergeron not putting me as main participant for any of the SciOly events, I will now be attending Villa with the PCH team. :D

Actually, I could step in for Cell Bio for him, because our main Cell Bio participant refuses to participate since then she'd have to do more than one event, which she doesn't want to do, but she doesn't know that yet. And the other cell bio participant doesn't know anything.

But I'm not going to.

Also, Ladue... well, let's hope they go to SciOly. :D

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

I just posted another field update for this tournament. Hard to believe it's only two weeks away. :o

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

We are tentatively planning to expand the field for this tournament to 24 teams; we hope to make that official this afternoon. Since we have 21 teams and two more waitlisted, we need one more team. If you want to sign up, please let us know here or email Anthony Loveday at aloveday@vdoh.org. Thanks! :)
Last edited by socalcaptain on Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix possibly confusing typo

logic2718

Post by logic2718 »

If possible, could Clayton sign up a second team? I'll have to confirm with my coach, but I think it should be fine.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

logic2718 wrote:If possible, could Clayton sign up a second team? I'll have to confirm with my coach, but I think it should be fine.
No problem--the more, the merrier! Shoot Anthony an email if you guys can do that. Thanks! :)

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

Right, so at the moment, Central may have a three-person team. This should be interesting.

WillHack

Post by WillHack »

Unless you're playing with a rock and a backpack, Chris, I don't want to hear it.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

WillHack wrote:Unless you're playing with a rock and a backpack, Chris, I don't want to hear it.
That reminds me of the time when Missouri S&T played at a trash tournament with three players and an actual rock. The rock was officially listed as "Buzzer Rock." The rock nearly beat two sentient players in the individual standings. :P

WillHack

Post by WillHack »

We won JV Two Saints my soph year with the rock and the backpack, but they were terrible players. Didn't get a single question right.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

At Div-II sectionals my freshman year our fourth seat was either occupied by a picture of Chuck Norris or one of the YA RLY owl. We played with Chuck the first couple of games and lost them, then once we replaced him with the YA RLY owl we won several in a row. Needless to say, Chuck didn't make it through the tournament.