Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

2009 MACA Junior Varsity State

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

So here is the newest HAVOC set - http://quizbowlpackets.com/archive/09havoc/ . I am very impressed with the accessibility and quality of this set as novice appropriate, so much so that it's apparent this really is the best possible set for JV state. I truly believe that if MACA is interested in improving JV state as a viable competition, they should get in contact with Maggie Walker's quizbowl team to mirror next year's iteration of this tournament because I've seen nothing for JV tournaments that even comes close to this.

FZW Coach

Post by FZW Coach »

I glanced at a few questions. They look pretty good.

I will see what I can do at the MACA convention. First, I have to get reelected as President. There is still a lot of work to be done. We need to get our finances in order so that hopefully in the next few years we can return to the Panasonic competition. We are attempting to fully refund the 50% the association promised Mr. Allen when we last competed by time we meet September 28. I think we are going to be able to do it, but we have had to cut other expenses that we would normally incur at this time to make this work.

Of course, you are operating under the assumption that math calculation is bad. I will never agree with that point.

You are also operating under the assumption that playing more teams better defines a true champion. Honestly, I am going back and forth on this point. In Bible Quiz, that was how we did things. Nationals consisted of 3 days where you played 8 rounds, 8 rounds, and 3 rounds to determine the true national champion. The 20 teams had to qualify by either winning their regional (8 teams) or placing in top 12 of a special 1-day tournament held the day prior to this event. It was quite an ordeal.

Side note on that: Bible Quiz Nationals this year will be held in St. Louis. I am kind of excited about that. I am not involved with that anymore and have not been for some time, but my best player from our 2001 National team that almost won the championship is coaching a team from Springfield, MO and invited me to attend the games. It will be held the same week as the baseball All Star game (which is also in St. Louis). For some strange reason, he is expecting me to come up with All Star game tickets . . . . um . . so, anyone have any to sell? :)

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

If MACA is considering bringing back the Missouri All-Star team, I would suggest looking into the HSAPQ National All-Star Academic Tournament, which will be held on June 12-13, 2010, at Vanderbilt University in Nashville. It's less expensive than Panasonic/NTAE, closer to home, and maintains the all-star format with better questions and a more logical tournament setup. More information on that is here.

Anyway, I'll say that MOQBA is tentatively interested in taking over JV State next year; I'll be in contact with you about it at some point.

FZW Coach

Post by FZW Coach »

Thanks for the All Star game lead. That would be so awesome to get that going again.

Taking over JV state? Not sure about that considering how much our philosophies seem to conflict. Actually, it is just the math issue. Other than that, I think we actually agreed on everything. We do want short pyramid style questions. We have talked about that often in all of our meetings.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

FZW Coach wrote:Of course, you are operating under the assumption that math calculation is bad. I will never agree with that point.
If that's the main issue with using this set, then why not just get someone (preferably not Questions Galore) to write in math computation and whatever else you need to reformat it it to MSHSAA distribution (like MS&T Spring)? Or, alternatively, why not just try this set and see how it works? People who know math (George comes to mind) know the theory being asked in these questions anyway, so it's not as if you're not quizzing over people's knowledge of math? That would let you keep the original format (which I think is very nice) and save work...
FZW Coach wrote:You are also operating under the assumption that playing more teams better defines a true champion.
Isn't that simple statistical reality? If you think of each match like a sample, then don't more samples give you a more accurate picture of the result--which team is better?

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... arbroil</a>, May 8 2009, 07:00:16 AM.</div>