Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Missouri Fall Academic Tournament (11/1/08)

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Dear Coaches,
I am a member of the quizbowl team at the University of Missouri, and I am pleased to announce that we are planning on hosting the first annual Missouri Fall Academic Tournament on November 1st, 2008. We are aware that in the past some tournaments held at Mizzou had some real problems that might have deterred you. However, all of the people responsible for those tournaments have moved on, and we are going to do our part to make sure the best tournament possible can happen. We will be using questions from NAQT's set 80A, which are the lowest level of difficulty, and will be guaranteeing each team at least 5 games, more if possible, and are hoping that you are interested in using this opportunity to get lots of playing experience early in the season.

The entry fees are as follows:
One team will cost $70 to enter
Any additional teams from the same school will cost $60 to enter.
Any team bringing a buzzer system will receive a $5 discount. There will be a maximum of $15 discounted.

This tournament will be using a rule where each team can have a maximum of 6 players. If you have more than that, do not feel hesitant signing up an extra team so that every player gets more opportunities to participate in games. Please send your registration information to MizzouQuizbowl@gmail.com.

The field will be capped at 18 teams, although if there is demand and space we will look into expanding it. If the field fills, then the top 3 teams and possibly the top small school will qualify for the 2009 NAQT High School National Championship. Additionally, the top 2 teams will qualify for the 2009 PACE National Scholastics Championship.

We hope to see you in Columbia on November 1st, and best of luck to your teams this season!
Alex Dzurick
Co-Tournament Director

AShoaib

Post by AShoaib »

Yeah, apparently Cuba's tournament is that date, so I think we'll not be going.

Hmm... I just noticed that that's an SAT day. And seeing as how 3/4 of the varsity members are national merit semifinalists who haven't taken the SAT... that may very well be the date that we take the exam. Whether or not we'll go to Cuba is also questionable now that I consider this... *don't take any of this as a whine, just as a self-reflection and my own QB planning-- maybe John Scogs will see this*

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Not to fear, as there should be at least one more tournament this year for you to play in at Mizzou.

ELADAMO89

Post by ELADAMO89 »

any idea when that will be?

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Before May 2009.

FordATeam/CC

Post by FordATeam/CC »

November 1st is also the District/Sectional date for Cross-Country.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

(**SEE BELOW FOR UPDATED ROSTER**)

At this point, any further schools that contact us will be placed on a waiting list in order of contact. The spots labeled a and b denote schools that have expressed interest but did not verbally commit a team. Their spots will be held until October 1, when we will open up their spot to the next team on the waiting list. If any other teams drop out, we will also go to the next team on the waiting list.

So, if you are still interested, please contact us. We'll put you on the list, and who knows, we may see you in November!

richbob

Post by richbob »

Charlie,

Richland would like to enter one varsity team for your tournament.

Please email me back at questionbank@webound.com with a confirmation.

Thanks,

Bob Brown
Richland High School

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Updated entry list above.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Again, updated entry roster.

FZW Coach

Post by FZW Coach »

Oops. That stinks. I had planned on attending this, but was too busy with other things I didn't get around to signing us up. Bummer.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Current Field:

DeSmet A & B
Rock Bridge A & B
Hannibal A
Clayton A
Liberty A
Weaubleau A
North Kansas City A
Glasgow A
Pilot Grove A
Hallsville A
Richland A
Kickapoo A & B
Hickman A
Knob Noster A
SLUH A

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Requesting clarification for those attending: In what building(s) is the tournament going to be held?

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Hopefully every coach already knows this from the emails sent by our club about this, but the tournament is being held in Strickland Hall. We will see you bright and early on Saturday between 8 and 8:30 AM.
Also, for those interested, our tournament info/statistics can be found at this page: http://www.taftqb.com/t/2008mfat. While obviously there are no statistics to report yet, on Saturday that page will be updated after each round with relatively live results.

mujason

Post by mujason »

For those of you with old maps, Strickland Hall used to be known as GCB. I won't be there, but best of luck to all teams. It's nice to see Charlie, Alex, and the rest of the new Mizzou gang getting off to a good start.
-Jason Mueller, former Mizzou captain

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

For those of you who are waiting eagerly at home, NKC (missing about half their scoring) won the tournament by going undefeated in all 10 rounds and clearing the field by 2 wins. Hickman went 8-2, and Rockbridge A went 8-2, but the points per game tiebreaker favored Hickman, so they placed 2nd. All three of those teams qualified for the NAQT High School National Championship, while NKC and Hickman also qualified for the PACE National Scholastics Championship. Currently the small school final is being run between Glasgow and Richland, with Glasgow having a one game advantage. Whoever wins that final should also be qualifying for NAQT Nationals. The all tournament players were:
1st. Brandon Roney (NKC), 112 ppg
2nd. Grant Monnig (Glasgow), 71 ppg
t2nd. Spencer Fish (Liberty), 71 ppg
4th. Mike (Rockbridge A), 55 ppg
5th. Adam Sperber (Hickman), 47 ppg
t5th. Conner (Rockbridge A), 47 ppg

I want to really thank all the people who helped scorekeep this tournament like the Pilot Grove and Hickman extras, as well as all the MU club members who moderated. Chad Kubicek is the man for coming all the way from Kansas City to moderate. All the teams really helped by coming and playing almost all of the games, that's really awesome that we had so many people stay despite running probably an hour late. Also, much love to U-Win trophies in Columbia; if you ever run a tournament in this area, please use him, his plaques were really great for our tight budget. If you deserve to be thanked and I have forgotten to mention you, please don't be offended. I would probably thank you in person for it.
I know there were some flaws (printing the wrong rooms on one schedule, taking a little long to run rooms, not having enough scorekeepers), but in spite of all the setbacks, I'm personally really proud the tournament went as well as it did, without any monstrous blowups. Hopefully this means we will just get smoother and smoother, as I've learned some stuff from this to do better next time, and hopefully we will have more staff by then. I hope teams still had an enjoyable time, and congratulations to everyone for such a good performance early in the year, especially on some undermanned teams like Liberty and NKC. We will be hosting another event on January 24th, so look out for the announcement for that soon.
Thanks everyone!

EDIT: Glasgow won the small school title.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... enaziCD</a>, Nov 1 2008, 04:27:56 PM.</div>

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Where are the game 6-10 scores?

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

In my backpack. We were understaffed so we only had time to enter the prelims after lunch. I will be entering the sheets I have in the next couple of days though.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Oh, I'm a total dunce. I'd be very remiss if I didn't thank Alex Dzurick, co-Tournament Director extraordinaire. He obviously helped with the tournament in helping organize it and all kinds of fantastic stuff that wouldn't have made this tournament happen as well as it did otherwise.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

OK, I have the championship bracket's complete statistics here. I'll get around to entering the other games later, but those the standings for the top 6 teams.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Check it out! Media coverage begins already!

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stori ... ournament/