Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Richland Warmup Tournament

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
richbob

Post by richbob »

Richland High School will be hosting a "warmup tournament" on Saturday, March 29, 2008. This tournament is designed to get some practice before districts.

Eight teams will play each other in a seven game round robin tournament. Thus, every team is guaranteed seven games (four in the morning, three in the afternoon).

As of now, Clever and Richland are in the tournament. Clever received an early spot in this tournament because they paid for two teams in our earlier tournament, and only got to play one team. Thus, we still have six openings that will be decided on a first come, first serve (play) basis.

The cost is 50 dollars and you will receive a copy of the questions. The questions will be written by me and will be pyramidal. I am going to try to make them as close to Shawn Pickerel's questions as possible.

Trophies and all-tournament medals will be given out. We plan to give three trophies and eight medals as of now.

If you want to play in our tournament, you need to email Roger Stephens as soon as possible. His email address is: rstephens@mail.bear.k12.mo.us

Remember, it is on a first come basis. It could be a big help getting ready for districts.

For those of you in the Lexington area, please attend Jim McCrary's tournament on this date. I am the question provider for that tournament and they will be using the same questions. I hope you like them, but it is pretty hard to please everyone.

If you have any questions about the Richland Tournament, feel free to email me at: questionbank@webound.com or bbrown@mail.bear.k12.mo.us

Bob Brown (aka "Richbob")

Ford08

Post by Ford08 »

This would be pretty cool to go to but I think our schedule is full.

richbob

Post by richbob »

Surely, you don't have a tournament on that date! The only one I know of is the Lexington Tournament.

Head to head one week before districts. How can you pass that game up?

A chance to be ranked number one in 2A before districts!

How can we get a good rivalry going when you pass up the chance to get it on with the Richland Bears?

America wants this game!

Seriously, we hope you guys can make it up here. Your team always plays with class and your coach is great to work with. But, either way, we WILL see you guys one week later.

Great job by MSHSAA. Putting Fordland and Richland in the same district, and
putting NKC and Liberty in the same district. Go figure.

richbob

Post by richbob »

By the way, we do give out nice trophies.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

William Woods University is planning on hosting a tournament that day as well.

ELADAMO89

Post by ELADAMO89 »

we have confrence that day
we arent going to be able to go

Ford08

Post by Ford08 »

I don't know I would almost give up conference to go to this... It would be important considering this would be at your house while districts are at ours.

:)

FordATeam/CC

Post by FordATeam/CC »

I'm sure we'll get to face off a couple times this season (Rolla comes to mind). I am pretty sure I had heard mention of this warmup somewhere (maybe at the Richland Invitational), but I want that conference 4-peat. I do envy the thought of seven guaranteed matches though.

On the topic of Richland/Fordland, NKC/Liberty, (and examples like Savannah/Smithville and Richland/Eugene in the past) etc., I still think there has to be some way to avoid these types of things happening. I understand it happens in sports where it is only feasible to have one contest a day, but A-Team is one of those places this type of problem can be avoided. In cross-country, there are 2 teams that qualify from each district to state. The only exception to this is class 4, where I believe 4 teams actually qualify to sectionals and then 4 qualify to state. There was a petition going around this fall or winter to try to get class 3 changed to the same format in cross-country as class 4. Maybe we could discuss with area representatives the possibility of putting together some type of petition to change the state qulifying process for next year. It is a shame any time a team gets knocked out of a state trophy just because of the district they are in, especially when it really wouldn't be too difficult to avoid.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

I thought that they had that kind of stuff being looked into already and were considering implementing it in the near future.

LittleMissLit

Post by LittleMissLit »

Ford08 wrote: districts are at ours.

:)
I forgot about that!
woo!

FordATeam/CC

Post by FordATeam/CC »

ashkenaziCD wrote: I thought that they had that kind of stuff being looked into already and were considering implementing it in the near future.
If they are, I haven't heard anything about it yet. I hope they are.

richbob

Post by richbob »

It's not too late to enter the Richland Warmup for Districts Tournament on March 29th. We still have five openings.

So, give us a call. (or an email)