Looking for practice material?
Find thousands of packets FREE for study and practice on the Quizbowl Packet Archive!
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:15 pm

JV State Tournament 

Post JV State Tournament
What were the official results of the JV state tournament? I heard it was
1. Kirksville
2. Truman
3. New Madrid
4. Parkway Central

What did you think of the tournament? Personally, I thought it was nice to have a JV tournament, but it was very poorly run. Here is why:

1) Swiss pairings: am I the only one who thinks this system is stupid
2) Final Brackets: the pairings for afternoon rounds were all messed up. To show how bad they were, after two rounds, the 1, 8, 10, and 15 seeds were left. Something is not right when that happens.
3) Questions: they used Triple Q, and I have no doubt that they were the worst questions I have ever heard in my four years of scholar bowl. Hitler was a German? Could have fooled me.
4) Round format: the used a five round format with lightning and worksheet rounds. Why? Why not prepare the JV players to compete in a real state tournament with a standard MSHSAA round?
5) Lack of teams: this was not the TD's fault, but why did more teams not show up? I understand maybe financial reasons, but other than that, why not? There were only 25? teams, and 16 made the cut. There was a 1-2 team with less that 800 total points in the afternoon rounds. More teams should show up to provide better competition.

So there, I am done. Again, thank you to MACA for hosting the tournament, it was great to give the JV something to play for. I know it fired up some of our JV to put in more time preparing. But we should give them a better tournament to best showcase their skills and prepare for the Varsity.

Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:33 am

Post JV State Tournament
I'm surprised they haven't put the results on the MACA webpage yet. But then again, I've sent them several results that haven't been put up yet either.

Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:35 am
Profile WWW

Post JV State Tournament
Yea, the questions were not exactly of a high calibur.
For instance:
Category: Math-Geometry
"What field of math studies points, lines, shapes and planes?"
Answer: GEOMETRY
(supposedly, the moderator did not accept "Euclidean Geometry" for my team)

Almost as bad as last year's JV state:
What organ on your body consists of two nostrils?
It's not a trick question.

Yes, the brackets were quite screwed up and there were often timing discrepancies (at least for us). Oh well, I'm sure our JV team still had a great time going. Yea, although there were only 25 this year, that's a lot more than the previous year (around 8 or so). Hopefully, they'll be even more next year.

Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:08 pm

Post JV State Tournament
Our team doesn't have enough players to field a JV team. If other teams out there are as small as ours, that would contribute to the small number of teams.

Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:41 am
Profile WWW
Post JV State Tournament
is the answer to the nostril question elbow?

those questions will always outwiegh:
What is at the corner of Martin Luther Dr. and 141?
Answer: Bill Williamson's house

Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:15 pm