Does your school need new buzzers?
Apply for a Matt's Buzzers grant! $250 grants will be awarded on December 1.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:45 am

Richland Tournament 

Post Richland Tournament
Monday kicks off Richland's January tournament. Several strong teams from southwest Missouri will be in attendance. Last year the varsity field consisted of 17 teams and included 5 teams that made it back to state (including 2 repeat state champs and 2 state 3rd place teams, 1 of which repeated and the other should of).
This year the qualifying will consist of matches on either Monday, Tuesday, or Thursday with JV teams appearing to be mixed in with varsity instead of being in their own bracket. Monday's lineup includes Richland I & II, El Dorado, Clever I & II, Lebanon I & II, Fordland, Strafford. There might be another team or two, but I can't remember at this time. I know TJI, Ava, and Ozark will also be in attendance later in the week, but I can't remember for sure on which days and who else will be competing.
It could be tough to qualify from the Monday bracket or easy, depending on the draw you get. Unfortunately, I can see at least one quality team from the bracket not making it to Saturday. I know most, if not all of the other teams on Monday will already have at least one tournament under their belt, which will put us at a little bit of a disadvantage. However, we made it through fine last year. Hopefully we can do it again.

Hey Ryan, do you remember who else is coming later in the week?

Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:35 pm

Post Richland Tournament
I haven't seen the list of teams yet. I know we play on Thursday though.

We will be woefully deficient in mathmatics though. Stupid GPML on Saturday taking all our math people.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:44 pm

Post Richland Tournament
If we make it to Saturday we will be without our all-conference returner. She's taking the ACT again for a scholarship that morning.

Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:08 pm

Post Richland Tournament
I was mistaken. Varsity went against varsity and JV against JV. Monday's Varsity results were as follows:

Round 1:
Fordland 195 - El Dorado 65
Clever 180 - Lebanon 110
Richland 245 - Strafford 60

Round 2:
Lebanon 310 - El Dorado 30
Fordland 255 - Strafford 40
Richland 385 - Clever 95

Round 3:
Richland 340 - El Dorado 60
Clever 225 - Fordland 150
Lebanon 340 - Strafford 60

Hey Ryan, good call on Clever earlier this season. I knew they would be tough. Their match vs Richland may cost them getting a spot on Saturday, but they showed that they could be a team to be reckoned with in class 2. They deserve another day of competition in my eyes.

Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:38 pm

Post Richland Tournament
Looks like you guys are have a pretty good chace of returning on Saturday. Congrats :)

Clever definatly got the short end of the scheduling stick. Hopefully they manage to slip in somehow.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:28 am

Post Richland Tournament
Good tournament so far, but poor questions in my opinion. I think Questions Galore has too narrow a scope in their subject matter (i.e. 50,000 spelling and grammar questions per game, hardly any actual literature, etc.). I wish Richland would have used Question Bank questions instead, but I heard (may not be true) that someone had a problem with them since Bob Brown is from Richland and they play in their own tournament, so they went ahead and did Questions Galore to appease the complainers. That's ridiculous. By the way. Richland is a great team, and they don't have any more access to Question Bank material than anyone else (nor do they need it).

And I have to say something about the math, which is that I don't think that whoever writes the math problems understands the constraints that the 15-second time limit puts on pencil-and-paper computation. It seems like the math questions are either really simple or ridiculously time-consuming.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:09 pm

Post Richland Tournament
Nate,

The main reason I didn't write the questions for our tournament was that I wanted our players to hear questions from other providers.

In addition, a couple of the teams in our tournament have heard most of the games that I have written this year and I didn't want to tie up my business by not having games available for future purchases. In particular, Lebanon has played in a large number of tournaments that have used my questions this year.

I also wanted coaches to have an opportunity to view questions from this company because I am fairly certain that they will be bidding to write the state questions next year. Personally, I have yet to look at the questions, although I did run them off on the Xerox machine. Once the tournament is over, I will check them out,
especially the math questions.

Your observation about the time restraints on math questions has been an area of concern of mine for years. Fifteen seconds really limits the type of math questions that a provider can write. Perhaps your dad can convince the people in charge to increase the time to 30 seconds. By the way, Illinois provides 30 seconds for math problems, and Questions Galore is located in Illinois.

In support of Questions Galore, they were very prompt with the order and it appears they did a great job of guaranteeing the pristine quality of the questions. Their price was reasonable, also.

As a question provider, it is helpful to have positive input from students to improve the quality of the questions I write. Perhaps you could relay your recommendations to them.

Thanks for your input. See you guys on Saturday.

Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:54 am

Post Richland Tournament
Nate Kinast Posted on Jan 9 2007, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Good tournament so far, but poor questions in my opinion. I think Questions Galore has too narrow a scope in their subject matter (i.e. 50,000 spelling and grammar questions per game, hardly any actual literature, etc.). I wish Richland would have used Question Bank questions instead, but I heard (may not be true) that someone had a problem with them since Bob Brown is from Richland and they play in their own tournament, so they went ahead and did Questions Galore to appease the complainers. That's ridiculous. By the way. Richland is a great team, and they don't have any more access to Question Bank material than anyone else (nor do they need it).

Did you guys get repeat questions during the match? We had a question that was asked twice in the same match. You are also right about the spelling and grammer, there was a lot of them on Monday. Richland looks very strong again this year and they are going to be tough to beat.

If anyone has the results from Tuesday will they post them please.

Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:56 pm

Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)
Post Richland Tournament
chad wrote:
You are also right about the spelling and grammer, there was a lot of them on Monday.

Ironically this is the only sentence in that four-sentence paragraph that has spelling or grammar errors.

Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:01 pm
Profile WWW

Post Richland Tournament
I love "grammer" questions.

Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:04 pm

Post Richland Tournament
ScoBo1987 Posted on Jan 10 2007, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Ironically this is the only sentence in that four-sentence paragraph that has spelling or grammar errors.

I’m not all that grammatically inclined so sorry if I mess up a few times. Oh, yah I also suck at spelling. That is why we have a person on our A-team that was only one step below nationals in spelling competition.

Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:04 pm

Post Richland Tournament
You aren't the only person on this board who's said "grammer" but I think it's always humorous.

Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:11 pm

Post Richland Tournament
I spell it like it sounds don't you know what I mean Dawg.

Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:12 pm

Post Richland Tournament
HHommeeeez

Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:18 pm

Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)
Post Richland Tournament
chad wrote:
ScoBo1987 Posted on Jan 10 2007, 05:01 PM
Quote:

I’m not all that grammatically inclined so sorry if I mess up a few times. Oh, yah I also suck at spelling. That is why we have a person on our A-team that was only one step below nationals in spelling competition.

What makes it so amusing is that the other three sentences are (as far as I can tell) completely grammatically correct and that sentence has a spelling error, a comma splice and whatever it's called when you say something like "there is three" instead of "there are three" [edit: Subject-Verb agreement?]

Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:26 pm
Profile WWW

Post Richland Tournament
ScoBo1987 Posted on Jan 10 2007, 05:26 PM
Quote:
What makes it so amusing is that the other three sentences are (as far as I can tell) completely grammatically correct and that sentence has a spelling error, a comma splice and whatever it's called when you say something like "there is three" instead of "there are three" [edit: Subject-Verb agreement?]

I don't care if you find it amusing or that you want to call me out on it; I know I am not all that great at those two things so when people say something I don’t care. Sure it might be funny to you but most of the time a just write what I think I don’t care if it is politically or grammatically correct. If you don’t like that well to bad, I speak my mind and usually don’t care what people think. I am not getting angry at you but I do not appreciate being mocked if I screw up.

So, back to Richland if anyone has any information on Tuesday I would greatly appreciate it.

Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:45 pm

Post Richland Tournament
Tuesday Results

Osage 230 vs Warsaw 120
Ava 190 vs Pleasant Hope 105

Thomas Jeff 305 vs Warsaw 170
Osage 275 vs Pleasant Hope 145

Ava 255 vs Warsaw 155
Thomas Jeff 300 vs Pleasant Hope 75

Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:00 pm
Profile WWW

Post Richland Tournament
I wasn't intending to criticize or mock your post. I really don't care at all about spelling or grammar here; this is a message board after all.

Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:22 pm
Profile WWW

Post Richland Tournament
Nate Kinast wrote:
Good tournament so far, but poor questions in my opinion. I think Questions Galore has too narrow a scope in their subject matter (i.e. 50,000 spelling and grammar questions per game, hardly any actual literature, etc.)...

And I have to say something about the math, which is that I don't think that whoever writes the math problems understands the constraints that the 15-second time limit puts on pencil-and-paper computation. It seems like the math questions are either really simple or ridiculously time-consuming.

I have to agree on the literature comment. I talked to Coach Brown about that fact. Our top returner's strength is in literature (she works in a library) and there were very few actual literature questions for her to answer. We still did ok for our first tournament of the season, but she was well below her average on varsity last season and I believe whole-heartedly it was because of the lack of lit. I know regular season matches don't have to match up with the MSHSAA breakdown, but it would be nice if they were close.

I also agree with the math comment. If Nate doesn't have enough time to do several of them, they take too long. However, math does seem to be an area that a lot of question writers have trouble writing. I am still having trouble deciding on a question provider for our tournament and it is in large part due to the lack of good math questions.

I also had a problem with a few questions giving obvious clues early (ex. "The Persistance of Memory") but not being clear until later on what was going to be asked for. I think every team member I had knew the answer to that one, but was waiting to see if they were going to ask for the artist, style, etc.

Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:48 pm

Post Richland Tournament
According to the last e-mailed information I received, Hillcrest, Ozark, Branson, and St. James are the only teams competing in varsity tommorrow.

Qualifiers so far are as follows:
Richland 3-0
Thomas Jefferson 3-0
Osage 3-0
Ava 3-0
Lebanon 2-1

Two of tommorrow's four will automatically qualify and one more spot is up for grabs.

Individual Stats (through day 2 of 3 qualifiers)
Nate Kinast (TJI) - 39
Cory H. (Richland) - 38
J.W. (Osage) - 34.5
Matt (Lebanon) - 26
Brent (Warsaw) - 25
Nikita (Fordland) -21
Reece (Ava) - 19.5
Brian (Richland) - 19
Rex Ann (Ava) - 18

Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:58 pm

Post Richland Tournament
Well Mr. B it looks like we have a decent shot at getting in.

Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:35 pm

Post Richland Tournament
Just thought I would update you on the teams competing on Thursday. You need to add Crocker High School to the list. This is their first year in competition. Roger Stephens and I have been helping them get their program launched this year.

One other thought about Nate's earlier post. The only time I've received complaints about Richland playing with questions that I wrote was at Helias. The team that complained was Mexico, and that was two or three years ago.

In another side note, one year the only games Richland lost all year were with questions that I wrote. And most of those losses were to Thomas Jefferson. I think I had too many math questions in those games!

As anyone knows, somebody has to see the questions before a tournament is played because the questions have to be run off. I personally trust every coach to be honest and fair. Thus far, my observations in Missouri is that integrity is very high among the coaches.

Games will begin on Saturday at 10:00. Keep watching this board because we may increase the qualifying teams to ten if we have enough readers. Due to a three-way tie last night, we advanced three teams instead of two. I will keep everyong posted in this regard.

Have a great day.

Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:12 pm

Post Richland Tournament
richbob wrote:
One other thought about Nate's earlier post. The only time I've received complaints about Richland playing with questions that I wrote was at Helias. The team that complained was Mexico, and that was two or three years ago.

I remember that tournament well... they certainly complained a lot. (Still didn't excuse our blowing an 80-ish-point lead in the fourth quarter in the semifinals against them, though.)

Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:20 pm
Profile WWW

Post Richland Tournament
For anyone curious about what happened tonight

Ozark 3-0 735 pts
Branson 2-1 570 pts
St. James 1-1 185 per game
Hillcrest 0-2
Crocker 0-2

Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:44 pm

Post Richland Tournament
Here are the teams that qualified for the finals:

1. Richland 3-0 323.33
2. Thomas Jefferson 2-0 302.5
3. Osage 2-0 252.5
4. Ozark 3-0 245.0
5. Ava 2-0 333.5
6. Lebanon 2-1 253.3
7. Fordland 2-1 200.0
8. Branson 2-1 190.0
9. Clever 2-1 166.7
10. St. James 1-1 185.0

All-Tournament Team:

1. Nate Kinast - T. Jeff

Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:13 pm

Post Richland Tournament
Richland Tournament

All- Tournament Team

1. Nate Kinast - Thomas Jefferson 13.0
2. Cory Honer - Richland 12.67
3. J.W. - Osage 11.5
4. Michael - Ozark JV - 10.33
5. Matt - Lebanon - 8.67
6. Brent - Warsaw - 8.33
7. Silvio - St. James - 8.0
8. Ryan - Ozark - 7.33

Wow, Ryan made it. Congratulations!

Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:16 pm

Post Richland Tournament
I have a correction on Ava's average: It should read 222.5.

I need to learn how to type better.

Sorry for the error.

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:30 am

Post Richland Tournament
Greetings everyone:

The Richland Happy New Year Tournament's finals have been cancelled due to the impending ice storm.

The tournament has been rescheduled for January 27 (Saturday). Games will begin at 10:00 a.m. Coach's meeting is scheduled for 9:30 a.m.

Bob Brown
Richland Assistant Coach

Roger Stephens
Richland Head Coach

Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:54 am

Post Richland Tournament
Thanks to all the coaches and players who participated in our tournament.

Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:56 am

Post Richland Tournament
Bob are you guys using different questions for V and JV?

Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:04 pm
Profile WWW

Post Richland Tournament
Does the MSHSAA rule about one tournament being contained in an 8-day span mean the tournament now counts as two tournaments or is there an exception for weather delays?

Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:31 pm

Post Richland Tournament
mujason wrote:
Does the MSHSAA rule about one tournament being contained in an 8-day span mean the tournament now counts as two tournaments or is there an exception for weather delays?

That's just absolutely cruel if it had to be counted as two tournaments... it most certainly counts as one tournament. Also, if they were evil and considered the tournament as two separate tournaments, if I remember the rules right, since this past string didn't have a proclaimed champion, each game a team played would seem to count as one "tournament"*. There's no way it would be counted as two tournaments simply because of a weather delay.

But then again this is MSHSAA we're talking about.

--edit--
*Never mind, the preliminaries would still count as only one tournament, as each night of the Suburban Conference Quads are counted as one "tournament" even though the champion of the entire Quads Tournament isn't proclaimed until the finals 3 or 4 weeks after the first quad day.

Specifically:
AC Manual page 7 wrote:
3) An event with three or more teams started and completed on one calendar date.

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:13 pm
Profile WWW

Post Richland Tournament
Bill,

Yes, we used the same questions for JV and Varsity. The same questions were used on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.

The questions were ordered from Questions Galore.

It looks like we should have a pretty good tournament on January 27. Some of the teams had mentioned to me that they would have been short a player or two on January 13 (including Richland). Hopefully, all the teams will be full strength and we will have some great competition.

So, now that you have finally graduated from Rolla (how many years was it?), tell us what's up with your life. Are you still going to make your fearless predictions this year, or did psychoman scare you off?

Take care. Hopefully, we'll see you at Rolla or at state.

Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:32 pm

Post Richland Tournament
First off the reason I asked in the first place... that 10.33 is pretty impressive from a JV player.

Anyway

I'm working for UMB Bank in their Tech Center in Downtown KC as a Network Engineer. Working as the last line for stuff that goes wrong or fixing stuff before it becomes a problem. I love the job outside of the fact of Traffic over the bridge and waking up at 5:30 5 days a week haha.

If you want to know more I can post about my job details. haha.

As for picks, I don't get to see anything now outside of scores. No idea the quality of questions and the such it is hard to pick but none the less I will make my picks when it gets closer to district time :) What is the minimum for that Red lobster dinner you offered at state last year.

As for state I should be there and I might make it out to Lexington and or Savannah if you guys are making the trip up.

Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:56 pm
Profile WWW

Post Richland Tournament
When the final 10 qualifiers come back to play in two weeks, things look to be very interesting. Although Richland and TJI are obvious picks to make the final four, there are a number of teams that could be in the hunt. If Ozark's JV player moves up to Varsity, they could be a force to deal with. Lebanon had two strong (300+) games, which bodes well for them. However, the team I think everyone needs to keep their eye on is Clever. Although their point total is low compared to the other qualifiers, they did get wins against two of the teams that qualified and they drew the Richland match. Most of the matches should be competitive. I look forward to testing my students against such a high level of competition. It should tell us a lot about where we are at this point.

Good luck to all that qualified,
Coach Bertoldie

Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:14 pm

Post Richland Tournament
Patrick,

I agree that the field should be very competitive. You forgot to mention Fordland. I think you guys will be a tough draw, also.

Another factor may be the ice storm. Schools could be out for a week or more as a result of power outages. I know that we were a little rusty in our first game back from Christmas break as 245 was our lowest score this year by about 100 points.

Trees are dropping like flies here in Richland. I went outside and as of 1:00 a.m. have considerable damage. The woods behind my house sounded like Weyerhauser was harvesting trees. Entire trees were collapsing, making a very upsetting sound. We still have power, but it is just a matter of time. And the meteorologists say the worst is yet to come on Sunday. And of course, it's that nasty El Nino's fault.

Thank goodness I bought a generator a month ago. It does take the worry out of ice storms.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:13 am

Post Richland Tournament
This message is intended for any of the participants in the Richland Happy New Year Tournament "finals."

The ice damage in Richland is incredible, as I am sure it is in your town. Power lines are down everywhere and it will take some time for things to return to normal. With more rain on the way, I doubt if our school will be back up and running for at least a week. Maybe longer.

I will keep you informed as to the status of the finals for our tournament. Although I have lost my electricity, my personal generator is running and my computer and internet are working.

We have every intention of completing this tournament. Once it is over, I will email all of the participants a copy of the questions.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:44 pm

Post Richland Tournament
richbob Posted on Jan 13 2007, 01:44 PM
Quote:
doubt if our school will be back up and running for at least a week. Maybe longer.

Fordland will probably be out for a week at the least, knowing how they do our roads in our area we wont be back for two. The trees are a falling and at my house just east of Fordland I have power. If you go north of Fordland just 5 miles there is no power. I have a generator on standby just in case the weather gets even worse.

Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:46 pm

Post Richland Tournament
Just an update on the Richland Tournament Finals - We still don't have electricity at the school and nobody has a clue as to when it will be back on.

I just now got my phone service back (and thus the internet).

I will make every effort to keep everyone informed about the status of our tournament.

Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:12 am

Post Richland Tournament
Bob,

Noticed you are out again Monday. Are you still hoping to finish this Saturday, or do you know yet?

Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:06 pm

Post Richland Tournament
Patrick,

I believe that we will be in school on Tuesday. The roads around here are very slushy. They should be better by then. Electricity is back on in town and most of us (including me) got electricity today. The high school has electricity and water now.

As for Saturday's finals (of the Richland Happy New Year Tournament), they are a go. We will play them! Games begin at 10:00 a.m. Coach's meeting will begin at 9:40. We will draw for the first three games. Then, we will have a lunch break. After lunch, we will return for the semifinals and finals.

I will be sending an email to all participating teams tomorrow.

On a side note, the districts are coming out this Friday. I'll bet MSHSAA puts us in the same district.

Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:38 am

Post Richland Tournament
richbob wrote:
On a side note, the districts are coming out this Friday.  I'll bet MSHSAA puts us in the same district.

Whichever one we get in won't be a cake walk. I know we will be put in with at least one of three teams that could make a repeat run to state very challenging (You guys and McAuley being the obvious ones). I am curious to see who we'll have to try to go through. Class 2 has several of its strongest teams in southwest Missouri.

Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:16 pm

Post Richland Tournament
Bob,

Is everyone going to be able to make it Saturday?

Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:00 pm

Post Richland Tournament
The only team that has cancelled is Thomas Jefferson. Three of their starters couldn't make it, and Troy said he couldn't find enough JV kids to fill a squad. Too many conflicts.

Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:58 pm

Post Richland Tournament
richbob wrote:
On a side note, the districts are coming out this Friday. I'll bet MSHSAA puts us in the same district.

Unfortunately you called it. Both of you are in District 5.

Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:23 am
Profile WWW

Post Richland Tournament
I want to thank all the coaches and players who participated in the Richland Happy New Year Tournament (aka - The Ice Storm Tournament).

Here are the results from Saturday's finals.

Game 1:

Richland 375 vs Ava 120
Ozark 260 vs Lebanon 220
Osage 330 vs St. James 130
Clever 290 vs. Fordland 230

Game 2:

Fordland 250 vs. Lebanon 195
Ozark 265 vs Osage 235
Richland 340 vs St. James 165
Ava 325 vs Clever 150

Game 3:

Ozark 270 vs Clever 135
Osage 270 vs Lebanon 85
St. James 200 vs Ava 135
Richland 285 vs Fordland 130

Semifinals:

Richland 340 vs Fordland 155
Ozark 315 vs Osage 245

Finals:

Richland 315 vs Ozark 180

Outstanding Individual Performances

Cory Honer - Richland 86 points - 5 games - 17.2 average
J. W. - Osage 59 points - 4 games - 14.75 average
Matt - Lebanon - 23 points - 3 games - 7.67 average
Ryan - Ozark - 33 points - 5 games - 6.60 average
Sylvia - St. James - 19 points - 3 games - 6.33 average
Reece - Ava - 16 points - 3 games - 5.33 average
Rexann - Ava - 16 points - 3 games - 5.33 average
Sebastian - Clever - 16 points - 3 games - 5.33 average
Andrew - Ozark - 25 points - 5 games - 5.0 average
Max - Clever - 13 points - 3 games - 4.33 average

On a side note: Thomas Jefferson was unable to attend the rescheduled finals due to conflicts with other activities. Branson could not attend because their school bus was struck by a truck (or vehicle of some kind) on the way from the bus barn to their school this morning. No students were on the bus when it was hit.

Thanks again to everyone for making the tournament a success.

Nikita - Fordland - 20 points - 5 games - 4.0 average

Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:03 pm

Post Richland Tournament
richbob wrote:
Nikita - Fordland - 20 points - 5 games - 4.0 average

Bob,

Actually, Niki's was 20 pts - 4 games - 5.0 average

By the way, Congratulations.

Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:43 pm

Post Richland Tournament
Patrick,

You are correct on Nikita's average. I put those statistics together real quick and didn't double check them since no awards were involved.

I have tried twice today to send the tournament questions to all of you, but no luck so far. I think I've figured out the problem and I will try again in a few minutes. Send me an email if you get them, okay?

Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:32 pm

Post Richland Tournament
Quote:
Cory Honer - Richland 86 points - 5 games - 17.2 average

I'm gonna be sick.

Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:41 pm