Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Truman State Invitational 2006

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
KentB

Post by KentB »

Since I refuse to refer to it as the Geoff Jones Invitational, it will simply be known as the Truman State Invitational 2006 for thse purposes.

First place went to Rock Bridge A who defeated Helias A in the championship. RB B beat Helias B in the 3rd place game ... kinda bad that only two teams were represented in the afternoon but they were good.

We´ll post full stats when they become available.

FZW Coach

Post by FZW Coach »

We would like to attend the spring tournament. Do you have the date of that yet?

We also would like to bring 2 teams, and probably a 3rd team consisting of freshmen to compete against the small schools like we did last year. I think that greatly benefitted them, especially Julia Price.

Thanks.

KentB

Post by KentB »

I will post as soon as we have the info finalized.

Tentatively the date is March 24. This is also the day of the Lexington tourney but I would definitely like to see some KC teams come .... it would be great is NKC and some of those teams would be like .. man screw that tourney close to us .. let´s go to the 10 times better one at Truman .. heck yeah let´s go to that tourney :-P

I will talk to Paul for finalization.

I see that Rolla is having theirs the same day as WashU´s college tourney (from what I can tell).. we were thinking of moving ours to that day but u guys beat us to it :-P.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Well, Lexington is the same day so lots of KC teams would go there instead of Kirksville.

KentB

Post by KentB »

I am going to vote for March 17. I forget their reasoning for why that won´t work if there was any. If there isn´t a good reason then we will do it on March 17 and avoid the scheduling conflict with Lexington.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Savannah is March 17. That would be even worse for you.

KentB

Post by KentB »

Why is it not on the MOACA website ... grr .. ok .. we´ll figure something out.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

KentB wrote: I see that Rolla is having theirs the same day as WashU´s college tourney (from what I can tell).. we were thinking of moving ours to that day but u guys beat us to it :-P.
I'd be surprised if WashU didn't move their tournament.

KentB

Post by KentB »

February 17 appears to be open for us. It is right in between NAQT sectionals and CBI Regionals but ... it would yield the largest number of available teams unless there is something else that weekend as well....

*waits to have hopes shattered by another tournament *

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Kent, I should remind you that my intent of the spring tournament at Truman is to provide pre-district practice to teams from Northeast Missouri. Again, NEMO is as defined by RsMO 174.620, which comprises of all counties north of the Missouri River that are east of State Highway 139. This includes Boone and St. Charles counties, but not Clay.

Several schools in Northeast Missouri only compete in conference duals before district. The aim of this tournament is to provide a pre-district experience for those teams, not a steamrolling opportunity for western Missouri powerhouses, Liberty among them. Said western powerhouses are better served by competing against each other at Lexington and Savannah.

I would anticipate March 24. If my presence is a determining factor, I will likely be on the Eastern Seaboard the prior weekend, begging for an internship at WOGL.

KentB

Post by KentB »

I talked to Paul about it tonight. We will be doing it on February 17th unless something drastic changes. I will be basing the pricing on the UMR tourney but it will be a bit more expensive because our field will be smaller and we barely broke even for the tournament on Saturday.

I expect to have a formal announcement up by Thursday once we have all met and decided for sure.

Kyle, as much as we cherish your opinion, you did retire :-P. Therefore, we will most likely be opening this to anybody who wishes to come, including Liberty, NKC, and I have even already given the heads up to Cape ND (I will invite New Madrid as well but they are going to Rolla so I doubt they would want to do both). Of course we will be dividing into two divisions so that the area schools don´t get steamrolled but we should also make it a good competition for the larger schools as well.

Mainly, I don´t want to see what happened on Saturday repeated. We had two large schools with good teams and they flattened everyone else while having 4 teams from in the semis..... that wouldn´t happen if they had more competition.

Soooooooooo.... yeah, formal announcment coming soon and don´t worry Kyle .. I´m sure NEMO will show up.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

KentB wrote: Therefore, we will most likely be opening this to anybody who wishes to come, including Liberty, NKC, and I have even already given the heads up to Cape ND (I will invite New Madrid as well but they are going to Rolla so I doubt they would want to do both). Of course we will be dividing into two divisions so that the area schools don´t get steamrolled but we should also make it a good competition for the larger schools as well.

Mainly, I don´t want to see what happened on Saturday repeated. We had two large schools with good teams and they flattened everyone else while having 4 teams from in the semis..... that wouldn´t happen if they had more competition.

Soooooooooo.... yeah, formal announcment coming soon and don´t worry Kyle .. I´m sure NEMO will show up.
In that case, make sure you invite Richland. I hear they need tournaments, and the schools around here need a taste of what it takes to be serious in Class 2.

Babysitters need not apply.